The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   A question about fly blankets (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/question-about-fly-blankets-129401/)

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 07-03-2012 11:33 AM

A question about fly blankets

Hello,

I've never delt with such a hairy horse before and am trying to keep her safe from sunburn as I've noticed redding down the part of her double mane which ive tried braiding and parting only to one side but it has been to no avail. So to the point, Id like to buy her a flyblanket to protect her from the sun and flies but I'm afraid I'm going to overheat her since it's been approximately 100f for weeks. Any input or experience would be appreciated! Thanks.

Ashley

Skyseternalangel 07-03-2012 11:35 AM

You're sure it's sunburn?

My horse is experiencing something very similar except it's all along his back. This hasn't happened before to him so I'm getting an entire blood panel done to see if something is awry. Might be a good idea for you to investigate that option..

As for the sheet, won't make your horse hot as long as it's designed for flies. Just measure her properly and you should be a ok!

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 07-03-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1578702)
You're sure it's sunburn?

My horse is experiencing something very similar except it's all along his back. This hasn't happened before to him so I'm getting an entire blood panel done to see if something is awry. Might be a good idea for you to investigate that option..

As for the sheet, won't make your horse hot as long as it's designed for flies. Just measure her properly and you should be a ok!

I'm sure it's sunburn... It's only on her mane skin at the peak of her crest and it wasn't there a day and a half ago. She's got pink skin all along her top line -shrugs- and I live in Colorado which (idk if your from the states or not) is one of the top states for skin cancer because of the elevation causing more intense uv rays. Ihope your horses skin issues clear up do you have any idea what it is or could be?

Thanks for the speedy reply! I plan on buying her blanket soon :-)

Ashley

rascalboy 07-03-2012 06:33 PM

Well this is simple to fix: put suncreen on her. Yup.............

Skyseternalangel 07-03-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashleysmardigrasgirl (Post 1578716)
I'm sure it's sunburn... It's only on her mane skin at the peak of her crest and it wasn't there a day and a half ago. She's got pink skin all along her top line -shrugs- and I live in Colorado which (idk if your from the states or not) is one of the top states for skin cancer because of the elevation causing more intense uv rays. Ihope your horses skin issues clear up do you have any idea what it is or could be?

Thanks for the speedy reply! I plan on buying her blanket soon :-)

Ashley

I used to live in CO for 6 years, with my horse near the elbert county then highlands ranch area.. and he never got the reaction that he got in MD where he is now (I;m out of the country) so that makes me suspicious that it could be more than just sunburn.

No clue, it could be an imbalance.. allergic reaction, not sure. But thanks :)

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 07-04-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rascalboy (Post 1579407)
Well this is simple to fix: put suncreen on her. Yup.............

That does work but the flies where I'm at the flies are terrible this year.