The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Decent size for a 2yo QH? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/decent-size-2yo-qh-129431/)

PaintMeAnOvero 07-03-2012 03:58 PM

Decent size for a 2yo QH?

Hi everyone...I am posting some pics of my 2yo, and would like some comments as to her size. I have owned horses for about a year and a half, and this filly since she was 8 months. So, I am fairly new to this. I think she is a pretty good size for her age, but I actually been asked if she is going to grow anymore. I was under the impression that horses grew til they were at least 4, then filled out. She's not a TB, she won't get almost all her height that quick. I know you are all prob pretty tired of the "how big will my horse get" questions. I find myself getting defensive with a few people I know when they comment about her. She is usually standing right next to my paint,who is just shy of 16H, so of course she will look smaller. Anyway, alll opinions are welcome. She is currently right about 14HH. Thanks, all...

cowboy bowhunter 07-03-2012 05:23 PM

She looks about right. She is butt high so she will grow again soon.

Rhen 07-03-2012 05:28 PM

Im def no expert...........But I think she looks pretty darn good!!!

cowboy bowhunter 07-03-2012 05:35 PM

I forgot to add. A cutting horse is shorter then a roping bred horse. So there are many different size horses in the QH breed.

PaintMeAnOvero 07-03-2012 05:44 PM

Thank you for your replies. I tell ppl she will grow til she stops growing, period. She is fairly stocky already, if she hits 15hh I'm fine with that. Just a trail/pleasure horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

palominolover 07-03-2012 06:24 PM

She looks about just right, maybe a little bit more growth will happen. :). She's a very pretty girl by the way.

PaintMeAnOvero 07-03-2012 06:49 PM

Thank you! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Endiku 07-03-2012 06:56 PM

She'll probably grow another few inches, if she's only two. She's very nice looking!

I wouldnt worry about your friends too much. Like someone else said, theres a lot of differences within a breed on height, especially Quarter Horses. We have one mare who barely touches 13.3hh, and a gelding who's about 16.2hh. Both are QH, but one is foundation bred and one is cutting bred. Both are great animals and great for their specific jobs.

PaintMeAnOvero 07-03-2012 09:13 PM

Thank you....it does matter more that they are good at what they do, not "my horse is bigger than yours".
Posted via Mobile Device

Missy May 07-03-2012 09:57 PM

Well, up until recently I owned QH's exclusively - all my life. I only ever had one that was over 14-two hh - and he grew from 14 h (my prefered hieght) to 16 h between the ages of 3 and 5! 16 h is just 2 hands two many. :)

Anyway...she is just gorgeous!!!