The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   How do you handle the pressure? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/how-do-you-handle-pressure-129442/)

Equitation4life 07-03-2012 05:52 PM

How do you handle the pressure?

Iv been to tons of shows where the pressure catches up. (hasn't everyone?) I'm just wondering what kind of techniques people have up there sleeve, other than staying relaxed or calm because sometimes that's not enough. I've evolved to singing to my horse to keep the atmosphere comfortable. What do you do to handle the pressure?

Hoofprints on my heart 07-05-2012 05:11 PM

Yoga breaths!!! In and out

BarrelBunny 07-05-2012 05:25 PM

When I start getting nervous, I sing, dance, and talk to my horse. :lol: I braid her mane and tail, brush her, walk her around... I talk to just about everyone, too. Once its just about to be my turn to go in, I visualize exactly what I want to happen. I try and remember every single detail I can about my horse and how she is. Then, I just let it happen. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

KGolden 07-05-2012 10:13 PM

I walk my horse to a quiet spot and let her eat or we just sit . If I have down time I just hop on her bareback and walk around or lay on her back . So relaxing . And right before I go in I rub the two little spots on her ears for luck . I call them her second set of eyes . When she's relaxed, I'm relaxed . Nothing relaxs you more than hearing your horse sigh even when you're about to cry from pressure . (:
Posted via Mobile Device

uflrh9y 07-05-2012 10:26 PM

Are you nervous or stressed? Nervous I can understand but stressed sounds like you have way to much pressure to perform either from outside people or just yourself. Maybe you should figure out why you are feeling so much pressure. Is it pressure to win?

Equitation4life 07-06-2012 02:07 PM

I'm not nervous, just wanted to know how other people deal with the pressure :)

uflrh9y 07-06-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equitation4life (Post 1583609)
I'm not nervous, just wanted to know how other people deal with the pressure :)

I guess I feel bad that you feel pressure. Maybe you can show in some fun classes where you don't feel pressure and that might make you feel better.

KissTheRing 07-06-2012 07:04 PM

Well after my first class, of which I always tank- Not my horses fault but mine- I have a bit of a breakdown then by my next class Im all hissied fitted out- And have fun the rest of the day/event lol

I also quit counting people in my potential classes lol I've made it a point to be first or second in the ring so I dont count all the people who are going to "beat" me.

Equitation4life 07-08-2012 04:04 PM

Again, im just simply wondering what people do. I have been showing for a LONG time and i have my ways. Simply, i'm just making conversation with people. Its really neat to see what all of you guys do, Because pressure is a real thing. KissTheRing I used to do that all the time! until i remembered why i ride in the first place :) There is no better feeling then getting to show your talent with your best friend:)

Roperchick 07-08-2012 04:12 PM

i listen to music and brush my horse. or if my friends arent competing at the time we just hang out and talk. anything thatll get your mind off of the class