The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Bringing up boarding for free (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/bringing-up-boarding-free-129452/)

Echosong 07-03-2012 05:49 PM

Bringing up boarding for free

In the past, like several months ago, my Aunt and Uncle said that if I paid for the initial price of a horse, they would then keep it as one of their horses but still "mine". They don't yet have riding horses, only Belgians, eleven of them actually. They are all working horses and he ( my uncle) works them and has plenty of room for other horses. What I am trying to ask is, how should I approach my uncle about keeping a horse at his farm? This came up when he found a horse, so should I wait and let him pick the horse? I am still considered a minor and my parents are not "horse" people. Please give your honest opinions on the situation.

eclipseranch 07-03-2012 06:02 PM

IMO, just openly talk to him. If they are around 11 Belgians they certainly know horses. However, big diff btwn working horses & riding horses. Sounds like a great aunt & uncle..seems they would be honest & tell you or help you find some one with knowledge about picking a horse to ride. my Belgian rides both English/Western & drives, but her work days were once driving kids to school in an Amish community...yep she was the school bus...you need someone to work with you, teaching you about horses & riding

Saddlebag 07-03-2012 07:22 PM

You want to be part of the process of selecting your horse. Sometimes a suitable horse has absolutely no appeal and it's hard to develop any kind of feel for it. Please don't fall in love with the first one you see as it may not be suitable for you at all. Your uncle will want you to have a safe horse with some solid basic training.

Casey02 07-10-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

they would then keep it as one of their horses but still "mine"
You might want to clear that up. You pay for the horse but keep it at their house?