The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   I promise I am not as dorky as this post sounds :) (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/i-promise-i-am-not-dorky-129509/)

uflrh9y 07-04-2012 06:51 AM

I promise I am not as dorky as this post sounds :)

Hello, I'm Lana and I am addicted to horses. :) I have been an addict for 30+ years and I am sure back in the day my parents were hoping it was just a phase. Sadly, I have transferred my addiction onto my daughter (my son was able to resist the peer pressure, lol) and now I live my addiction vicariously through her. :wink:

I used to train/show/ride back in the day. I even went to college for Equine Industry which was a total waste of money but soooooo much fun. I worked my way through college at the university horse farm and I got to learn awesome things like AI and Stallion handling and working with all different breeds. It was an amazing experience though paying back my student loans now sure isn't. lol

Sadly I haven't ridden in a few years though I still want to. Maybe one day. My daughter rode over the years a little bit at day camps and such, but when we moved to MI (I forgot to mention we moved a lot, I'm originally from FL, kids were born in VA, and we have lived in AR and AZ) to help her adjust to moving I decided to get her involved in taking lessons. I picked a great barn that taught saddleseat but she really gravitated to huntseat and has done really well. I think after her first show this past June, she caught the riding bug and now she is just as horsey crazy as I was at her age. :)

Anyway, I stopped being involved with horses when my kids were born and so I miss talking with other horse crazy folks. This forum is so cool and I will try not to post too much but, it's been a while since I got to talk to people about horses so it may just spew out uncontrollably. I promise I am not an opinionated know-it-all. :) I'm just so excited to talk horse with y'all.

Skyseternalangel 07-04-2012 07:37 AM

How awesome that your daughter is into horses as well!!

Welcome :)

HorseLovinLady 07-04-2012 10:13 PM

Welcome to the forum!! I'm a horse fanatic just like you are so talk away lol.

stephshark 07-06-2012 01:52 PM

Hi Lana! Welcome to the forum! We're all pretty much hard core horse geeks so don't ever worry about anything sounding dorky! :)

gigem88 07-06-2012 02:34 PM

Howdy and welcome!

eclipseranch 07-06-2012 02:44 PM

Hey there from Missouri..you know all of us can sound dorky sometimes ;)
welcome to the forum!

Cacowgirl 07-06-2012 03:33 PM

You found a bunch of fellow horse lovers. Welcome & join in anytime! How old is your daughter?

uflrh9y 07-06-2012 05:32 PM

Thanks everyone for the great welcome. I really am having a blast here at HF.

Cacogirl, my daughter just turned 11 and my son just turned 8. I tried to get him riding and he did really well for a while but then decided that 1. too many girls and 2. he preferred playing with boys that live at the stables then ride. It worked out well anyway because when his friend isn't showing he gets to hang out all weekend at the horse show with them. They are like a little pack of wild boys going all over the show grounds. Sometimes I think he has more fun at the horse show then she does, lol. I will try and post some pictures. :)

PS: Cacowgirl, where in AZ are you? We lived in Goodyear fro a bit. Other then the 125 degrees and the scorpions, I really miss it.

newhorsemom 07-12-2012 10:24 AM

Welcome from another mom! I too have an 11 yo daughter and a 9 yo son. The daughter is completely horse crazy and the son is not the least bit interested in it. Unfortunately he hates the shows and lessons. I had a backyard horse as a kid but have been away from horses for about 25+ years so, just like you, I'm living vicariously through her. It's really fun to watch her with her horse - she's already better than I ever was and more horse crazy too!! Anyway, welcome to the forum! :D

Cacowgirl 07-12-2012 10:45 AM

I live near Kingman-we had our first big monsoon rain yesterday-my GS dog was freaked out. Really increased the bugs, too!