The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Half Pads? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/half-pads-12952/)

JustDressageIt 08-08-2008 12:15 AM

Half Pads?

I'm in the market for a nice half pad, anyone know of some good (not expensive) ones floating around?

upnover 08-08-2008 12:54 AM

My personal favorites are the Fleeceworks. I school most of my horses in the basic kind with the wither relief (not the expensive FXK technology kind or whatever it's called). I think I got mine around $70ish? I think they're much nicer quality then the cheaper brands out there, but not as pricy as Mattes pads. There are a few kids at our barn with the blue or pink Ovation pads that seem ok. They're not quite as nice as the Fleeceworks but not a bad pad.

superstareqrdr 08-10-2008 08:27 PM

I totally agree. Fleeceworks are awsome. I have 2 fleeceworks and a mattes. The Mattes are like hardcore sheepskin, i like the feel of the fleeceworks more than I do the Mattes, but i do love the mattes alot haha.

IrishRider 08-13-2008 02:52 PM

I bought an Eous (I think that is how it is spelled) and I love it. It's real sheepskin and it cost around $100 but it was worth it.

mudypony 08-13-2008 03:18 PM

I have an equine comfort one from doversaddlery and it is love! It is extremely well made and doesn't have one tear or stain and I've already had it for a year. Also, after you wash it just stick it in the washer for 5-10 minutes to fluff up the fleece and it looks brand new. It does cost around $90 but it's totally worth it.

iheartcloudnine 08-13-2008 10:35 PM

I am a huge fan of half pads, hehe.

Are you looking for a felt one, sheepskin, gel, etc.?

JustDressageIt 08-13-2008 11:07 PM

I just ordered a Cottage Craft sheepskin... I didn't want to pay an arm and a leg if it wasn't going to make Maia more comfortable, so we'll see how this one does and go from there.
The saddle is not custom made for her, and although it fits okay, I'm worried that it's not fitting 100%... sometimes she tosses her head (mostly to say "I'd rather be a pasture pet, mom!") and sometimes her tail gets going.
I've just bought her a fleece-lined girth, and that's seemed to have helped, perhaps a sheepsking pad will too :D

Thanks!! I'll give all a review on this Cottage Craft half pad goes! I'm excited to get it in!

My2Geldings 11-06-2008 10:26 PM

eBay. As long as you know what size of pad to get, eBay is the way to go for something like this. I got a Mattes for $120.00 including shipping (brand new).

horseyhmg 11-06-2008 11:34 PM

at my old barn we used fleeceworks pads for a while. the issue was after a few washings they fell apart or even if we didn't wash them they did after a while. we then all converted over to the wintec foam ones (muhc cheaper, about $20) which seems to work just as well