The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Random thought about barebacking sports (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/random-thought-about-barebacking-sports-129596/)

Stoddard 07-05-2012 01:39 AM

Random thought about barebacking sports

I think it would be fun if I could do barrel racing bareback.

Anyone else agree? This is just a conversation of fun and awesome, by the way.
Does anyone practice in bareback to gain strength in the saddle?
Are there any horse sports that allow bareback entrants?
Do you think there needs to be a strict bareback riding sport created for those who are too broke to buy a fitted saddle? LOL

EquineCookies 07-05-2012 07:19 AM

It would be fun but it would require so much strength and balance turning around those barrels most people would slip right off ;) I don't practice bareback, as I'm not allowed at the moment, but I really would like to. There is one sport that allows bareback and also bridless entries - freestyle reining (think Stacy Westfall!). I do think that a strict bareback sport is a little unneeded, as (almost) any other sport can be done bareback. But it would be fun for people who prefer bareback or don't have a saddle.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stoddard 07-05-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EquineCookies (Post 1581621)
It would be fun but it would require so much strength and balance turning around those barrels most people would slip right off ;) I don't practice bareback, as I'm not allowed at the moment, but I really would like to. There is one sport that allows bareback and also bridless entries - freestyle reining (think Stacy Westfall!). I do think that a strict bareback sport is a little unneeded, as (almost) any other sport can be done bareback. But it would be fun for people who prefer bareback or don't have a saddle.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's true, but you can't compete bareback in pretty much anything unless it's a "fun" show. And that's what I think we need. More openness for those who want to show off their bareback skills.