The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   good one second and horrid the next!? and im tired of it (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/good-one-second-horrid-next-im-129631/)

barrelbeginner 07-05-2012 11:32 AM

good one second and horrid the next!? and im tired of it

My gelding Poncho is the best trail horse i have ever owned,but i have one problem. As soon as you go to get him out of a walk, he starts throwing his head, holding his head up as high and he possible can, if i go to turn him he starts to turn the other way and if a continue pulling the reins he will stop flick his tail hop forward. then go the way i want. and then If i kick him to get him into a lope he starts to like bunny hop. Last time i rode him, you can even ask JazzyGirl, he was doing this and rearing a little as if he was spooking but he wasnt.. so like rearing to the side. Im so tired of him doing this and not listening.

So what i was doing was everytime he would try to buck me I would kick him and work him until he did start to listen and what not. Also, after i work him he seems to listen but then the next time i work with him it seems to be the exact same and last time... its really frusterating.

It really got to me because i would just deal with it and correct him for it everyday but this last time i went to orrect him and my finger got stuck and all wrapped up in the reins and i was bleeding that i just wanted to keep working him until he couldnt walk anymore.. He is INSANE! but ONLY if you try anything more then a walk..:-(

I HAVE NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM JUST RE-OCCUR AND WHAT NOT NORMALLY IF I CORRECT THEM. ITS THE LAST TIME I HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT AND I HAVE BEEN HAVING THIS PROBLEM FOR OVER 2 YEARS WITH HIM.. HE IS 7 YEARS OLD I BELIEVE. AND A PAINT QH.. AND VERY LAZY

barrelbeginner 07-05-2012 11:33 AM

AND I DONT MEAN KICK HIM like in a mean way i mean like to get horses to go ya know, that kicka kick lol

DancingArabian 07-05-2012 11:35 AM

If the problem has been repeating for that long even with correction it's past time to look elsewhere. It could be pain. Are you using spurs? What kind of built are you using? Did you check saddle fit? Do the problems repeat in an arena? With another rider?
Posted via Mobile Device

barrelbeginner 07-05-2012 11:39 AM

he has this problem everywhere. there is no pain.. ive had him vet checked. yes other riders have been on him. the saddle fits fine. he does it bareback as well. ive had many different bits on him from just a Oring saffle to a martha josie bit and then just a halter

BlueSpark 07-05-2012 11:46 AM

you need help from a trainer. For this to go on this long is not ok. He sounds like he "has your number" and knows how to use it. He will only challenge you if he thinks he can succeed, which he is sure he can do past a walk. If you put a trainer up on him for a few sessions it would likely disapear, but if you cant learn how to deal with it your self you need to move on to a different horse or get some help.

Also, If you get to the point where you are mad at him, it might be time to get off, do some gound work and end the session. You cant correct a horse in anger.

It sounds like a very frustrating situation for horse and rider.

barrelbeginner 07-05-2012 11:57 AM

Yes it is, and i have other horses and i train horses and have worked with horses before with the same problem.. its just him.. and i cant move on to a different horse..he is a good horse and i want to keep him. I might do that, find a trainer there is one right down the road and maybe he can get him to listen..:)

BlueSpark 07-05-2012 12:04 PM

I had a friend that rode a gelding that sounded similar, all she needed was some coaching from a good trainer. Can help alot.

palominolover 07-05-2012 12:23 PM

I agree you need a trainer. He's most certainly testing you, and obviously you haven't corrected him correctly because he hasn't stopped. If you still can't control him with a trainer it's time to get another horse that you can handle.

barrelbeginner 07-05-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palominolover (Post 1581934)
I agree you need a trainer. He's most certainly testing you, and obviously you haven't corrected him correctly because he hasn't stopped. If you still can't control him with a trainer it's time to get another horse that you can handle.

i can control him. once i worked him for the day he starts to listen its just a 15min thing everyday.. and then the rest of the ride is fine. and im not going to get another horse, i can handle him i have other horses as well. could it be because i dont ride him as much as i ride my other horses?

mls 07-05-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrelbeginner (Post 1581896)
Yes it is, and i have other horses and i train horses and have worked with horses before with the same problem.. its just him.. and i cant move on to a different horse..he is a good horse and i want to keep him. I might do that, find a trainer there is one right down the road and maybe he can get him to listen..:)

You train horses?

This sounds like a very basic "I don't want to" attitude. If you train horses, this cannot be the first horse you have ever had with this attitude . . .