The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Stretches to make mounting a taller horse easier? And getting in shape for riding! (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/stretches-make-mounting-taller-horse-easier-129667/)

LovesMyDunnBoy 07-05-2012 05:04 PM

Stretches to make mounting a taller horse easier? And getting in shape for riding!

Alright, so yesterday while riding Mac I realized I'm sooo not flexible! I could barley get my leg up in the stirrup! Now he IS taller than I'm used to, but I'm tall too. 5'9".. I'm just not flexible. Now, once I got my foot up there I bounced up without too much trouble. I didn't have to drag myself up. I also have limited flexibility in my hip, without it catching. I have a cyst, and cartilage thinning.

Anyway, if you can recommend some leg & hip stretches and whatnot that would be great!

I'm also pretty sore, either from the riding or Mac giving me all his weight when I pick out his feet lol. Some exercises I could do at home to tone my legs and stomach would be greatly appreciated. I'm sore in my shoulders and back and my lower sides (like what hurts from running) and my belly button?? Lol like when I lean back it hurts behind my belly button! Lol

Anyway, and tips from stretching to maybe even products to help with the sorness later!
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 07-05-2012 07:08 PM

Just exercise a little each day, focusing on abs (planks, situps, bicycling) thighs (squats, leg press, lunges) glutes (glute squeezes, leg curling, hip flexion) and calves (toe raises, heel squats, hiking/cycling)

Though you need to make sure you have a good warmup and cool down and drink enough water per day.

englishaqh 07-06-2012 08:00 PM

I agree, look up some good exercises to do and practice them to help you with strengthening. Any kind of cross-training might help you as well. If you don't have access to gym equipment, maybe you could try running or biking? I'm not a fitness expert, but I am tall like you. I used to never be able to get up without a mounting block. It was so frustrating. I don't know if you are riding english or western, but if you are riding english, is there any way you could get access to a western saddle? If you can practice mounting with a western saddle and using the horn for support (that's how I learned how to mount easier) that would be awesome. Practice that for a little while, getting on and off with the western saddle (if possible for you). Then switch to english. If you don't have access to western equipment or if your horse will not accept a western saddle don't worry. Keep practicing your strengthening. You could maybe do some lunges and stuff on your stairs, practice putting your left leg up on the step and pushing yourself up. Try it with your right leg to have an even workout (it's the same thing as teaching your horse leads: you want to learn both ways). Like I said, I'm no fitness expert. But I hope that I am able to offer some advice. Also, when you are mounting, grab the horse's mane if possible and the back of the saddle, not the front of the saddle and the back, you don't want to lean on the saddle that much and have it slide around. My saddle fitter showed me a great way to mount as well. Stand next to your horse's neck, facing the same direction as your horse. Then turn around and face directly next to your horse but backwards. Put your leg in your stirrup. Then grab mane and the back of the saddle. Hop 1, 2, 3 inching closer to the saddle each time. Then hoist yourself up. I hope that some of my advice works for you, but regardless I wish you luck and I hope it goes well for ya! Don't get discouraged. Keep trying!

EvilHorseOfDoom 07-06-2012 09:40 PM

Look into yoga too - it really helped me become more flexible.
Posted via Mobile Device

LovesMyDunnBoy 07-07-2012 01:34 AM

I ride western, and usually have no problem getting on. He's just so tall! But today was actually a little easier, probably because we adjusted my sturrips AFTER I got on yesterday, because they were too short, and today they were already longer. So that could be it, plus I was wearing shorts lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

ozarkmama 07-07-2012 06:35 PM

How to Improve Hip Mobility | Mark's Daily Apple

This is a great website for hip mobility

englishaqh 07-07-2012 08:24 PM

Oooh hahaa, sorry for my random assumption, you were probably like "why is this person just rambling on about how to use a western saddle. blarg." Hahaha. And that's really understandable, it is difficult!! Use your height to your advantage as well though. (: happy rides!