The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Landing on the right lead (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/landing-right-lead-129726/)

Cheyennes mom 07-06-2012 12:40 AM

Landing on the right lead

Hey everyone!
So I was wondering about leads. I know how to tell which lead is right and wrong and all that stuff, I also know not to jump on the wrong lead and that you should land on the right lead, all that stuff. My instructor mentioned how professionals look over their shoulder while they're going over the jump to turn their body to tell the horse which lead to land on. I had never thought about this before, and I never understood why they look over their shoulder so it makes sense now. Could you guys tell me more about this? I'd really love to do more course jumping and this would be good to know! Thanks so much!

PumpkinzMyBaby22 07-06-2012 01:58 AM

Well when you are jumping over a course, you look in the direction of your next jump so you can set yourself up. Not only that, but apparently your head weighs 25% of your body weight. Directing the weight of your head to the direction you want to go is essentially telling the horse where to go next = picking up that lead.

Hope this helps, others will probably be able to go into more detail.

gypsygirl 07-06-2012 07:30 AM

you can also put a little more weight in your outside stirrup to get your lead.

DancingArabian 07-06-2012 10:20 AM

Your body shifts depending in where you're looking and horses can feel it (which is why trainers tell students to look up where you're going and not at your horses head). It's why you look PAST a jump and beyond obstacles. When you're looking where you're going, your body shifts and turns a bit in the direction which helps the horse anticipate where you're going and makes it physically easier for the horse to move accordingly.

Try it out - at the walk look down and see how your horse moves, then look the wrong way while you turnc then try turning and looking where you want you horses feet to go. As a matter of fact, try it without the horse too. See how your body responds to where you're looking vs where you're sending your feet. It helps in all things, not just jumping!
Posted via Mobile Device

Mckellar 07-06-2012 10:24 AM

You will see riders looking over their shoulders for te next jump not the lead . The leads just a result. To clear up you can jump and lad on the wrong lead because who says its te wrong one? Don't do it but you can lol. To change the lead over the jump just put a little more weight in the stirrup of the lead you want. Just like the above poster said. It's a very subtle cue and no one should be able to see it. Imagine a hunter doing a bending 7. They will change over the jump but theyre looking up and slightly ahead to the next jump, not any huge movements. Same for jumpers

DappleGrayHunter 07-06-2012 02:55 PM

Typically, riders are just looking at their next jump when they're looking over their shoulder. However, turning their head slightly over the jump may help their horse pick up the correct lead. When you first learn about right and wrong leads, your instructor tells you to pick up the canter in the corner. That is because your horse's head is bent to the inside, increasing the chances of picking up the correct lead. When you turn your head, you're also shifting the position of your body somewhat. This allows the horse to anticipate where you are going next, also slightly bending him toward the inside. Therefore, it will make him more likely to pick up the correct lead.

Cheyennes mom 07-06-2012 05:47 PM

Okay cool this totally makes sense! I'm a barrel racer so I understand the whole 'horse turns with you' thing. :)
thanks for replying guys!