The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Have you used Excede? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/have-you-used-excede-129774/)

Me and Smiling Horse 07-06-2012 01:19 PM

Have you used Excede?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm just curious how many of you have given your horse excede injections - the extended release form of naxcel? I'm giving it to my big boy and he seems to be tolerating it fine, but I've read a few horror stories in the web.

aforred 07-06-2012 02:40 PM

I gave some to my four year old mare two weeks ago, and didn't have any issues. However, that was one injection, on one horse, prescribed by her vet.
Posted via Mobile Device

ETA: Is this for the horse that has pneumonia? If so, how is he?

Me and Smiling Horse 07-07-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aforred (Post 1583778)
I gave some to my four year old mare two weeks ago, and didn't have any issues. However, that was one injection, on one horse, prescribed by her vet.
Posted via Mobile Device

ETA: Is this for the horse that has pneumonia? If so, how is he?

Yes, it's for my boy who has pneumonia and a bad murmur. He's doing MUCH better day by day!!! YAY!!! His temp is back to normal, nasal discharge is gone,cough is completely gone, lung sounds almost normal AND for 2 days he has been prancing/galloping/neighing when it's time for his triple crown senior mash!!! I'm SO thrilled! I honestly thought he was a gonner, and so did my vet. He was SO bad when she came out that she spoke to me about putting him down! I just couldn't, and now I'm SO glad that I didn't!!!

He received 4 strong doses of naxcel first (one shot twice a day for 2 days) and then she switched him over to bactrim by mouth. After 72 hours on bactrim he started declining and coughing, so she came back out and we started excede. She gave him his first dose, and then today (four days later) I gave him his second dose. He's doing great!!! By the grace of God, he seems to be pulling through this even at his age!
THANKS for asking!

aforred 07-07-2012 02:00 AM

I'm glad he's doing better, and I'll keep him in my thoughts.
Posted via Mobile Device