The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How to feed skinny pony (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-feed-skinny-pony-129785/)

Bribrigirl111 07-06-2012 02:10 PM

How to feed skinny pony

I have a 3 year old 11.2 HH mare Welsh pony. Where I got her from, she was in a all dirt paddock 24/7 with an older throughbred gelding. The paddock had no run in, stall, tree for shade. Nothing, she was out there all day and night with no break from the boiling hot summer sun. When I went to go see her, the poor things didn't have water. She was fed in the same bucket as the throughbred and he ate most of her grain. She got a scoop of feed in the morning and night, with garlic and electrolytes. She also got 1 flake a day of coastal hay. A half in the morning and half at night. but remember the gelding ate a lot of her grain. The owner gave me her coggins and they said that she is 3 years old. But the owner said she might be a little older.

She has never been ridden but can free lunge well. Leads okay, never had a problem with her being snippy or trying to kick me. Even though she does throw her tantrums here and there.

She is very ribby and has cuts and scars all over her body from the gelding she was kept with. Right now she is in a small pasture by herself but she is surrounded by horses in the pasture in front and behind her pasture. She is put in a stall at night. Her feet are very bad and need to be done. Farrier coming on Monday. I wormed her 2 days ago with panucur. I'm going to worm her again next week with ivermectin.

I am feeding her tribute maturity as her grain. (was recommended because she is young and probably is going to grow some more) and a little grass balancer. She gets a half scoop of maturity and a handful of grass balancer with a tablespoon of garlic powder, a scoop of electrolytes and a half flake of first cut Timothy morning and night. She gets to graze all day.
I'm not sure if I should be feeding her less or more. I know ponies can founder easy but she js very skinny. Here is a picture
http://s1169.photobucket.com/albums/r513/beardiebri/Snapbucket/?action=view&current=ED95614E.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

aforred 07-06-2012 02:30 PM

Welcome to the forum.

I think you're on the right track. If you're in an area suffering high temps and low moisture, make sure what she's grazing on is actually grass and not just weeds. If she cleans up her hay, I'd probably give her a little more. As for the grain and ration balancer, feed by weight, not
volume. You can use a basic kitchen scale, postage scale or a specially designed feed scoop that has a scale built in.

Good luck with her. She looks like a sweetie.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bribrigirl111 07-06-2012 02:42 PM

Aforred - that's what I was going to do, feed her by what the directions say but the directions are referring to horses, not ponies and I know ponies should nt get as much as a horse because of foundering
Posted via Mobile Device

aforred 07-06-2012 02:46 PM

If the label doesn't include feeding instructions for ponies, you might try emailing or calling the manufacturer. They are generally pretty good ay helping out, since they want to keep you as a customer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bribrigirl111 07-06-2012 04:46 PM

Thank you, I'm going to do that. I also have her on ultra bloom- a rice bran supplement and it says to give a pound a day for a horse her age and height but it doesn't say anything about ponies. I guess I'm going to have to call
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 07-06-2012 08:25 PM

Go easy on the supplements at first as her gut needs to adjust to the grass and hay. Adding supplements should be gradual so as not to overload the system.

Me and Smiling Horse 07-07-2012 10:32 AM

She really does look like a sweetie!

I wish I had some wisdom to offer you on how to fatten up a pony but I don't. I fattened up my horse though, and I put corn oil on his senior feed. But I wish you all the success, and it warms my heart to see such a sweet looking pony find a good home!