The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   How many changes of clothes do you bring? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/how-many-changes-clothes-do-you-129942/)

uflrh9y 07-07-2012 02:54 PM

How many changes of clothes do you bring?

My daughter's first show was last month and I think I was not prepared/organized as to how many changes oe hwne to change out of her show clothes. Friday and Saturday were no problem because she only had one class. But on Sunday, she had 2 Championship classes and got a dark stain on her breeches. I ended up buying another pair at the kiosk.

So my question is, what do you usually pack as far as show clothes and when do you change out of your show clothes between classes? If you only have an hour between two classes, do you change?

equiniphile 07-07-2012 08:51 PM

Well, today our 4-H club hosted a show in the 100F heat, so I can tell you what I brought. I came to the show with a tank top and shorts, and put my show shirt over my tank top when I was done warming up for the class. I change into breeches/jeans/pants/chaps and show boots before I get my horse ready to warm up.

If I'm showing in classes close together or don't have easy access to somewhere to change clothes, I won't change between rides, but if there's enough time (45+ minutes) to untack my horse and let him relax before our next class I'll throw on shorts and take off my show shirt. The heat also plays a role. If I'm in an air-conditioned indoor facility all day, show clothes aren't such a pain to keep on and I might not change throughout the whole day.

I brought our club shirt to wear over my tank top while I was working gates/ribbons and had an extra shirt and pair of shorts. I always bring a few pairs of socks; in this weather you sweat through them pretty quickly or will inevitably spill your horse's water bucket in your boots.

spurstop 07-08-2012 12:03 AM

What do you mean by changing clothes? I change outfits from showmanship to the riding classes, but once I am in it, it stays on. I have a tank top that I'll wear while warming up and then just put my jacket on over it to go in the class.

calicokatt 07-08-2012 12:06 AM

We use spandex under our breeches so the breeches can come off and clothes can be completely changed standing by the trailer (cami or shelf-bra tank under the top). If its not hot, we throw sweat pants over the breeches until the class to keep them clean, look for sweatpants without elastic at the bottom, or cut the elastic out, it makes it easier to get them on and off.

uflrh9y 07-08-2012 08:54 AM

Thanks everyone. Your answers were really helpful. Our barn sets up 2 changing rooms, so finding a place to change is not an issue. I think I was not prepared last time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurstop (Post 1586283)
What do you mean by changing clothes? I change outfits from showmanship to the riding classes, but once I am in it, it stays on. I have a tank top that I'll wear while warming up and then just put my jacket on over it to go in the class.

If the kids kept their show clothes on (as my daughter did the last day between the 2 classes), they would get messed up. She had her breeches on no more then 15 mins after the class and got a huge dirty smudge right above the knee.

AlexS 07-08-2012 12:47 PM

When I was showing (many moons ago) I would take 2 pairs of jods, and 2 shirts, but only the one jacket, helmet and pair of boots. Basically I took replacements for the white clothing.

Unless it was very hot, I didn't change unless I needed to.

spurstop 07-08-2012 03:15 PM

Sounds like a good lesson for your daughter to make sure that she takes the responsibility to stay neat between classes.

uflrh9y 07-08-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurstop (Post 1587058)
Sounds like a good lesson for your daughter to make sure that she takes the responsibility to stay neat between classes.

Hahaha, that's a good one. ;)

spurstop 07-08-2012 06:30 PM

I wasn't making a joke.

GoAppendix 07-08-2012 08:26 PM

I am not a youth, but there are several showing with our barn. They all understand the importance of keeping things clean between classes; none of them are bringing multiple outfits. I don't see how this is an impossible task?