The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Saddle hunting... Saddlesmith Saddles? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-hunting-saddlesmith-saddles-129972/)

DoubleS 07-07-2012 06:25 PM

Saddle hunting... Saddlesmith Saddles?

Looking for a comfy saddle so I don't have to use my show saddle all the time. I really love the feel of barrel saddles. Have you heard of Saddlesmith saddles? Are they good?
I'm looking at this saddle: Saddlesmith Barrel racing saddle | eBay
Does it look nice? I also like this one...
FRONTIER Bobby Stivers 13 1/2" BARRELSADDLE-- Hard to find-- Great youth saddle! | eBay but I'm kinda leaning toward the first one because of the price.
What's your opinion on them?
Thanks

Saddlebag 07-07-2012 08:31 PM

The first one likely has a $500 reserve because that is the buy it now price. The second one fits a skinny/petite rider. Will that fit you?

DoubleS 07-07-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1586046)
The first one likely has a $500 reserve because that is the buy it now price. The second one fits a skinny/petite rider. Will that fit you?

Ohh maybe it does.. I guess I never thought of that.
Uhm, I'm about 100lbs so yeah, I'm pretty small. tried out a 13in barrel saddle the other day, and it fit me perfectly. Plus I ride a 14hh pony so he doesn't really need a huge saddle. :lol:

COWCHICK77 07-07-2012 10:22 PM

I was wondering about these saddles as well. I seen them in a tack shop locally. This tack shop is the one that sells all the impoted crap that does more harm than good. They had a couple of Saddlesmith saddles there and they looked ok. But I wasn't sure if they looked good compared to all the junk sitting next to them or if they actually were better..lol. By no means they do not compare to a higher quality saddle like a custom or a Martin(at the time that was what I was looking at for a barrel saddle, the Sherri Cervi models). But at least they seemed to be a step or two above the imported crap sitting next to them.

I used to have an old Cirle Y barrel saddle I used for starting colts and and I have seen a few Martha Josey saddles float around for the same price. I would save the money for an older used saddle of quality. They always seem to have a higher resale if you decide to sell down the road.

SouthernTrails 07-07-2012 11:02 PM

The Saddlesmith Saddle is an very old model made by the Action Company, maybe more known for the Abetta Saddle they make.
Says used one season? hmmmm......
I think the 500.00 buy it now is too high of a price, but if they have no reserve and you get it for 350.00 probably would be ok, what seat size is it?

The Frontier Saddle according to the Website uses a Fiberglass Tree, not sure if I would be happy with that one either, fleece looks worn out.

Neither one one say what size it is, SQH, RQH, FQH

What about a Crates? Would this fit you and your Horse?

CRATES BARREL SADDLE, SUEDE AND ROUGHOUT 13-1/2 TO 14 | eBay

DoubleS 07-08-2012 10:23 AM

Ok thanks guys! It didn't look too cheap/crappy, but then again niether do a couple of the double t saddles in the pictures :lol:. So that one's a no-go.
I really like that Crates one! Watch list! ;)

My old barrel saddle that is too big for me is a Circle Y and it was really comfy, but it was just too big for my 14hh pony and I (15in and fqhb). We could really use SQHB.
What about a Sasser saddle? It says that he was taught by Billy Cook... Is that true? Sasser Barrel Racing Saddle 14" Used | eBay
It's not in the greatest condition, but I know someone who can put new fleece on the underside. I'm kinda skeptical because I've never heard of that brand.... :-|
I might be going to a sale soon, so I'll keep my eye out there for nice quality saddles :)

SouthernTrails 07-08-2012 11:32 AM

The Crates was FQH Bars :cry:

Here is one in SQH Bars in a decent brand

14" Guffey Barrel Saddle-- Semi- Quarter Bars | eBay

Never heard of a Sasser, but for the right price? hmmmmm

DoubleS 07-08-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernTrailsGA (Post 1586845)
The Crates was FQH Bars :cry:

Here is one in SQH Bars in a decent brand

14" Guffey Barrel Saddle-- Semi- Quarter Bars | eBay

Never heard of a Sasser, but for the right price? hmmmmm

Watch list!! :) Love Guffey barrel saddles. I'm more of a square skirt gal, but for my budget, beggars can't be choosey.. really considering that saddle.

smrobs 07-08-2012 10:29 PM

I can't say much about the saddles made by Saddlesmith, but I have 2 of their pulling breast collars and they are superb quality.

MangoRoX87 07-08-2012 11:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My barrel saddle is made by Saddlesmith. It is the best fitting saddle I own!! It's crazy comfortable, and unlike other barrel saddles, doesn't throw me forward over the horn or hold me back in some weird position. It's very high quality in my opinion, mine is probably 7-15 years old (im guessing). I really like the rigging on it, too.