The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   How to not be a Worrywart! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/how-not-worrywart-129975/)

Houston 07-07-2012 07:08 PM

How to not be a Worrywart!

I don't know what is wrong with me, but it's getting worse. I don't know if it's anxiety or stress or what! :?

If I'm not around horses there is something worrying my mind. And sadly I cannot live on the back of one. It can be the most insignificant thing and I will spend what seems like forever worrying about it. Anything from "is what I said to this person rude, weird, or annoying, etc" to "oh god I need to go to the store".

I'm not sure if it's my environment or what. I am away from home for the next two years but where I'm living isn't bad... it's just that I'm so ready to be back home. I was so much happier in Houston. :lol:

I tell myself to relax, but this is always easier said than done. My mother suggests I get into Yoga or meditation but I know nothing about it. I'm afraid to get into counseling because I don't see this as a issue that requires medical help... but who knows!

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do or try? I just feel it's so unnecessary for me to feel the way I do nearly constantly.

Skyseternalangel 07-07-2012 07:26 PM

Go to the sink and splash some cold water in your face. Look in the mirror and tell yourself "It has been said, it has been done. If I messed up I'll apologize but if I keep doing this I'm going to give myself ulcers and drive everyone away from my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And then smile, and walk away. And go occupy your mind with something other than what was said.

~~

The more you think about things.. the more confusing and worrisome things get. Things are interpreted differently by everyone. If you said something nice but it came out wrong, that's not your fault.. the other person just took it the wrong way. Hopefully they have the gall to talk to you about it instead of assuming you were being a jerk/provocative/etc. for example.

I have the same problem.... :/ and this helps me a lot

Missy May 07-07-2012 07:54 PM

I am not sure if you mean you are anxious b/c of your geographic location or b/c you are separated from your horses(?).

Houston 07-07-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missy May (Post 1585993)
I am not sure if you mean you are anxious b/c of your geographic location or b/c you are separated from your horses(?).

I'm not a horse owner sadly. :lol:

I was saying that I am away from home in a geographical sense. This MIGHT be a reason why I'm anxious but I'm honestly not too sure.

Skyseternalangel 07-07-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missy May (Post 1585993)

That's what the OP was considering may be reasons that she has begun to worry

At least from what I gathered lol

bigbayboy 07-07-2012 08:09 PM

You seriously just described me lol! I really don't have any advice because I worry just like you do. So at least you aren't alone! I get stressed out over everything and I worry constantly, usually about stupid stuff that I have no control over. I really need to get a grip though, because it is not fun to live this way.

Missy May 07-07-2012 08:11 PM

Oh! Aha. I suffer from "separation anxiety" if I am away from my horses - but I know the cause of the effect - and I never have figured out an effective "treatment".

Well, there is no place like home. Maybe it is the unfamiliarity of your new "environment". I get nervous in places w so many trees that I cannot clearly see the horizon, for example. It sounds like the fact that you can't identify the cause of your worrying is causing you "more worry"....which is understandable.

Houston 07-08-2012 10:33 AM

Thanks for the replies guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbayboy (Post 1586015)
You seriously just described me lol! I really don't have any advice because I worry just like you do. So at least you aren't alone! I get stressed out over everything and I worry constantly, usually about stupid stuff that I have no control over. I really need to get a grip though, because it is not fun to live this way.

It really is no way to live, but it seems getting a grip isn't always easy! Good luck. :)

uflrh9y 07-09-2012 07:01 AM

Being away from home can be stressful and cause lots of anxiety. We have moved 5 times in the past 4 years and I have a ton of anxiety and worry. My brain just never turns off. I think it's because I am not in the place and around the things that make me comfortable and at ease. But that just takes time. You need to find things to do and friends to be with so your mind can let go of the stress like it does when you are doing what you love, riding.

I will say though, if it goes on for months I would seek medical attention. Even if it means just talking to your regular doctor. Stress and worry can be very bad for your health.

((Big Hug))

Lakotababii 07-09-2012 11:13 AM

I used to have anxiety issues as well.

I have heard of many different ways to deal with stress and worry.

The one I personally use is religion based, giving things over to God sort of speak.

The same concept can apply without religion, however. Basically, ask yourself what you can solve by worrying. For example, let's say your worried about paying bills this month. Okay so you ask yourself "What can I do?" Well what you CAN do is work an overtime shift (if possible) and not spend extra money on trivial things, such as take out or movies.

Once you have decided what you can do, do it. Then let go of those things you cannot. You cannot change that you have to pay your bills, but you can control HOW you choose to pay your bills, and then give the rest over to God, or fate, or chance, or whatever you want to call it.

Do your best with what you have, where you are at, and just let the rest fall into place. If you can't change it, then worrying will get you nowhere, except maybe to a doctors office.