The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sand Colic :( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sand-colic-129980/)

loveyourhorse 07-07-2012 07:27 PM

Sand Colic :(

My poor sweet mare is suffering from sand colic. The vet came out this morning, his diagnosis was that she was loaded with sand. He gave her pain meds to help make her more comfortable and advised me to feed her soaked hay pellets with 2 cups of psyllium for the next two weeks (no dry food) and then 1/2 a cup of psyllium from then on.

She was obviously hungry despite being in pain and was still looking for food. However, she was looking for alfalfa and wasn't so thrilled with the timothy pellets and psyllium.

The good news is she is drinking water and not thrashing about. Now we just have to hope that she gets hungry enough to eat her food with the psyllium. Anyone ever dealt with sand colic before? How did you deal with it?

hoping my girl will be okay :(

Oldhorselady 07-07-2012 07:30 PM

Hope she continues to improve!!!!

palominolover 07-07-2012 07:31 PM

I'll be sending healing vibes your way :).

loveyourhorse 07-07-2012 07:32 PM

thanks guys! it was heartbreaking to see her so helpless and in so much pain :(

calicokatt 07-07-2012 07:32 PM

I haven't had to deal with sand colic before (thank god!) but if he just said hay pellets, would it be ok to use alfalfa pellets instead of timothy, if she prefers alfalfa? I would call and ask the vet.

loveyourhorse 07-07-2012 07:36 PM

we did ask about alfalfa pellets vs timothy, he said to stick to timothy and when she is hungry enough she will eat. by the time i headed home she was taking little nibbles at the food, i dont think she likes how the psyllium makes it kind of gooey.

I also started my other mare on psyllium as a preventative measure. def don't want to go through this a second time!

calicokatt 07-07-2012 07:40 PM

Would it make a difference if you just top dress with the psyllium, so it doesn't make the whole batch gooey? Or would she not eat it at all with the psyllium on top?

loveyourhorse 07-07-2012 07:43 PM

she wouldn't touch it with the psyllium on top.

if she doesn't eat it today then tonight we are going to try sprinkling some a&m on top to see if that helps.

eclipseranch 07-07-2012 07:51 PM

sounds like a stressful day glad she is feeling better!

farmpony84 07-07-2012 09:56 PM

I'm surprised they didn't tube her. I have a horse that sand colics every now and then and they usually tube and banamine.

I hope she is ok. The hay will help push the sand out of her belly. Did you ask about a monthly purge once she is past this? I give my horse sandclear once a month (for seven days) to help push the sand out.