The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   3 ways to keep ticks away. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/3-ways-keep-ticks-away-130016/)

Tayla101 07-08-2012 01:36 AM

3 ways to keep ticks away.
 
Ticks carry Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, rocky mountain spotted fever and tick bite paralysis. Standard insect solutions rarely work on ticks, they do not only affect your horses health but your own.

how to prevent ticks:

1. Use specially made tick repellants on your horse.

2. If you prefer to hand-pick ticks, wear gloves. To remove a tick, grasp it as close to its host's skin as possible using fingers or forceps. Don't squeeze. Apply slow, steady, upward pressure until the tick comes away intact. Drop detached ticks into a jar of soapy water, then dispose of tick-laden liquid by burying it or flushing it down the toilet.

I think no.3 is a clever way to keep ticks away.

3. Keep a flock of Guinea fowl or free-range chickens. Feathered barnyard marauders consider ticks the pinnacle of haute cuisine--and you can dine on their eggs!

Remember to check you horse for ticks when your grooming, I hope this is helpful I would love to hear some feedback or ways you prevent ticks at your stable.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 07-08-2012 01:49 AM

#3 is my one and only tick prevention here at home. When I first bought the place I had to pick ticks off my horses 3 times a day and still didn't get them all. The first fall I bought about 30 guineas and next spring...no ticks. Now I have about 60 hens and 30 guineas and I have no ticks, flies are way down even during drought, no snakes, no mice, and I have several loud 'driveway alarms' for when people come to visit. Those guineas don't let anything get past 'em.

Tayla101 07-08-2012 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 1586452)
#3 is my one and only tick prevention here at home. When I first bought the place I had to pick ticks off my horses 3 times a day and still didn't get them all. The first fall I bought about 30 guineas and next spring...no ticks. Now I have about 60 hens and 30 guineas and I have no ticks, flies are way down even during drought, no snakes, no mice, and I have several loud 'driveway alarms' for when people come to visit. Those guineas don't let anything get past 'em.

Thats great to hear that no.3 works I don't own fouls, But luckily I've never had a tick on any of my animals before.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 07-08-2012 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tayla101 (Post 1586467)
Thats great to hear that no.3 works I don't own fouls, But luckily I've never had a tick on any of my animals before.


LOL! That would be FOWLS but they truly can be foul too, ever had a goose crap on your front porch? Slick gets a whole new meaning, as does stinky. :lol:

shaggy 07-08-2012 03:37 AM

any chance you know names of brands for those specially made for horses tick repellant?

WesternBella 07-08-2012 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy (Post 1586554)
any chance you know names of brands for those specially made for horses tick repellant?

Let me google that for you
Posted via Mobile Device

TrojanCowgirl 07-08-2012 05:25 AM

Another one is make garlic apart of your horses everyday feed ration :)

Tayla101 07-08-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy (Post 1586554)
any chance you know names of brands for those specially made for horses tick repellant?

If you follow the following links there are some tick repellents for horses that you can buy online. you can also ask you local tack shop or vet.

Entirely Pets - Ovitrol Plus Flea/Tick/Bot Spray for Dogs,Cats & Horses 16oz

http://www.amazon.com/Insect-Repellent-Horses-Natural-Flies/dp/B006PG8BZO
hope this helps

Tayla101 07-08-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 1586475)
LOL! That would be FOWLS but they truly can be foul too, ever had a goose crap on your front porch? Slick gets a whole new meaning, as does stinky. :lol:

No but I've had a seagull poop on me.

SaddleStrings 07-08-2012 01:40 PM

I'm glad I don't have any ticks in my neck of the woods. Just sounds like a disguisting little pest. Yucky!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0