The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What are your goals? Immediate? Long term? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-your-goals-immediate-long-term-130056/)

JustDressageIt 07-08-2012 01:12 PM

What are your goals? Immediate? Long term?

Since January I've gotten back into riding seriously again with a coach with the intention of being competitive, as opposed to riding and schooling on my own as I have for the past ~5 years.. Man does it feel good to be back! I've been bitten by the bug again, you could say. I've been battling injuries and health issues for the past 3 years which really put a damper on things (4 surgeries may do that!) but I'm back in the saddle and loving it.

I've had Ronan for a month and a half I think.. And I've kept him on a 4-5 day/week riding schedule. My immediate(ish) goals are:
-get him stretching long and low through the bridle; right now he wants to do a nice frame and that's it, he won't take he bit and stick his nose to the ground.
-show in August; just get him out to a venue and do some flat classes, maybe a small green hunter class
-work more on lateral movements at the trot
- improve his drive from behind.

Some more lengthy goals of mine include doing some dressage shows in the winter, and working over fences enough to be competitive in the 2'6" ring next year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jore 07-08-2012 01:54 PM

My main goal, as of yesterday (following Major's two refusals in his first hunter hack class....), is to get him more consistent in his jumping. He absolutely loves it, but he always refuses to jump the first time or two that he goes over.. then once he realizes what he's doing, he'll pick right up and get really enthusiastic about it. I also hope to do a bit better at our next show, since he was really excited yesterday (quite out of character actually since he was worked pretty hard all that week) and ended up bucking me off in our pleasure class, in the middle of one of his best, nicest canters yet.

TrojanCowgirl 07-08-2012 01:59 PM

My goal for my mare is to get her in better overall health condition and in shape. I would like to lease her out to a serious rider who will take her where they want and show her. I would also like to get her big butt on an endurance run!

My main and #1 goal for my boy is fix his lameness, forming a much better bond with him and starting him on ground work. Then when he's 7 start him under saddle.

Another goal is to adopt a filly from an auction or something and start her from scratch.

Houston 07-08-2012 02:41 PM

My main goal is simply to become a better rider. I have been riding for about a year and feel I am coming along nicely, but still have a way to go.

My second goal is to find a horse appropriate for my skill levels with a big personality.

Wallaby 07-08-2012 02:54 PM

My current goal is to get my foster mare really reliable and trained on the ground, including saddling/bridling. I'm also hoping to get her ponying well off Lacey and then take the two of them for longer rides where Lady'll be exposed to more "crazy" things.
Lady's scheduled to go into training in September so I'd like to get her so familiar with things that she's able to get the most possible out of her 30 days.

Lacey, I don't really have many goals with her. she's so reliable and trained these days that our only "issues" are generally related to having too much energy - once she works, the issue goes away. I guess my goal with her is to just enjoy how nice she is! :D

EquineCookies 07-08-2012 03:04 PM

My immediate goal is to get Rosie's head where it should be at all gaits for our show this weekend. She's been picking it up very quickly and we should be ready by then. I also want her more responsive to my leg. We also need our transitions between our collected, normal, and extended gaits to be smoother and not have her drop down to a trot/walk/halt.

My long-term goal is to learn to rein, which I'm finally going to achieve in the fall! I'm going to learn on an AQHA mare belonging to my coach who actually qualified for the WEG. She's currently recovering from an injury but once she's healed and started up again I'll be able to finally do some reining! :D
Posted via Mobile Device

BubblesBlue 07-08-2012 03:09 PM

My goal is to make it to Nationals in both of my events in High School Rodeo.

And eventually, I do want to the NFR in barrel racing even though it's a far fetched goal!