The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   What other saddle pads give as much relief as thick wither pad? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/what-other-saddle-pads-give-much-130066/)

Black Beauty 94 07-08-2012 03:25 PM

What other saddle pads give as much relief as thick wither pad?
 
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if any one knew of another half pad that would relieve pressure and make a horse comfortable compared to this one (link below)

This is the one I have now:
Wool Felt Wither Back Pad | Dover Saddlery

I don't like it because it is super thick and slips alot.

Any suggestions would be great-- nothing over $150.

Thanks!

kitten_Val 07-09-2012 12:28 PM

Does the saddle fit? If so I'd suggest to look into Thinline.

tinyliny 07-09-2012 01:21 PM

So, with that kind of pad you place it on the back so that the point of the withers pokes through that hole? I have never used one, obviously. It doesn't look like there's enough pad left for it to go the length of the saddle, if you put it on with the wither bone throught that slit.

bsms 07-09-2012 01:49 PM

I like these for getting a saddle up off the withers:

Wintec Comfort Saddle Pad With Lift - Statelinetack.com

For western and Australian style saddles, I've also folded this in two and used it over the withers:

http://www.jeffersequine.com/mayatex.../EQU/cp/MX-S2/

verona1016 07-09-2012 06:53 PM

I bought this pad to use with the high-withered TB cross I leased last year after seeing my vet using it on her horse.

Fleece Wither Pad - Half Pads from SmartPak Equine

Definitely not as nice as the Mattes fleece pads, but it definitely helped and was a fraction of the cost. If you need a wither pad as a long term solution, it might be worth buying something more expensive, though.

Saddlebag 07-09-2012 07:26 PM

You need to switch to a saddle with a cut back pommel.

Black Beauty 94 07-09-2012 09:41 PM

Yes, my gelding just needs that support or he will be sore.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1588547)
Does the saddle fit? If so I'd suggest to look into Thinline.


Black Beauty 94 07-09-2012 09:42 PM

I cannot just change my saddle.
I ride hunt seat, and I had a professional come out and fit it.
I just need suggestions for a different wither pad.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1589207)
You need to switch to a saddle with a cut back pommel.


Black Beauty 94 07-09-2012 09:44 PM

It doesn't poke through I would say, the wither pad just sits on top like any other half pad, it just has that cutout for relief.
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1588640)
So, with that kind of pad you place it on the back so that the point of the withers pokes through that hole? I have never used one, obviously. It doesn't look like there's enough pad left for it to go the length of the saddle, if you put it on with the wither bone throught that slit.


Black Beauty 94 07-09-2012 09:45 PM

Thank you! I actually tried one of these and it didn't give enough support :(
Quote:

Originally Posted by bsms (Post 1588681)
I like these for getting a saddle up off the withers:

Wintec Comfort Saddle Pad With Lift - Statelinetack.com

For western and Australian style saddles, I've also folded this in two and used it over the withers:

Mayatex San Juan Solids Blanket Pony Size



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0