The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   English Riding (/english-riding/)
-   -   Simple and Flying Lead Changes? (

Shadow Puppet 07-08-2012 05:05 PM

Simple and Flying Lead Changes?
I was recently studying for my level three and four CHA rider levels and I found the riding test and it said that I needed to know the difference in Simple and Flying lead changes. I had no clue there were two types of lead changes. what is the difference between the two?

JustDressageIt 07-08-2012 05:23 PM

Simple change means you drop to a lower gait (the gait depends on the level of the horse and rider) for a stride or few to get the change. a flying lead change is when a horse changes it's lead in one stride, never breaking the canter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Shadow Puppet 07-08-2012 11:31 PM

Thank you so much for clarifying that to me! Haha I had no clue :P I don't think the instructors would be very impressed if I didn't know how to do something!

equinegirl26 07-09-2012 09:41 AM

Simple Changes: You canter and if you get the wrong lead, you slow down to a trot.

Flying Changes: Switching leads while cantering. :)

Kayty 07-09-2012 09:59 AM


Originally Posted by equinegirl26 (Post 1588323)
Simple Changes: You canter and if you get the wrong lead, you slow down to a trot.

Flying Changes: Switching leads while cantering. :)

Not always :P In dressage tests over elementary level (3rd level in US??), they ask for simple changes of leg, often right down the centre line to test how straight your canter and transitions are, or on a serpentine.
Simple changes are a great lead up to flying changes. It will develop a great half halt and much more response to your seat and leg. It is also generally performed as a canter-walk-canter, not canter-trot-canter, and ridden correctly asks for a high degree of balance and substantial amount of strength of the hind quarters to enable to horse to sit in the downward and push up back into canter.

When the horse strikes off onto the wrong lead, pulling them back into trot and asking again generally involves a lot of unbalanced activity and most of the time you see the horse on the forehand. NOT a simple change ;)

equinegirl26 07-09-2012 02:56 PM

True, but I also forgot that a simple change could be just a circle.

*IF* your horse changes on the circle.

JustDressageIt 07-09-2012 07:42 PM

A simple change means that the horse drops down to a trot, walk, or even a halt. It can be done on a circle, square, straight line, squiggle, or any portion thereof. A flying change may also be executed on a circle, square, etc...
Posted via Mobile Device

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome