The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   teaching a horse to jump (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/teaching-horse-jump-130077/)

horsegirlxx 07-08-2012 05:21 PM

teaching a horse to jump

Hi,
I was just wondering what is the best way to teach a horse to jump ??
Yesterday I used one trot pole, and let him trot over it, just to get him used to the pole. Then I raised it up a little bit to get him to jump it, but he continued to just step over it and was knocking it off onto the ground. I was doing all this while lunging him. Later I got on him and the same thing happened as well as refusing it.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)
Posted via Mobile Device

kaykat31 07-08-2012 06:48 PM

Hi there!
I start with lots & lots of pole work. We trot single poles, we trot series of poles set about 9ft. apart so they can take a whole step inside, then 3-5 ft. apart(depending on the size of the horses step/stride;3' being a small/medium pony, 5 being closer to a large horse), and then work on cantering single poles, and then a series of canter poles 9' apart. You can shorten the poles to make them learn to collect, and lengthen them to work on lengthening their strides. When the horse has become comfortable with the poles, then you can raise them & make them cavalettis. When the horse is very schooled & confident over the pole & cavaletti exercises, then start with small crossbars. If the horse is rushy to the fence, or they aren't very interested, then I throw trot poles in right before the fence. He could be knocking them over, simply because he doesn't know & he isn't very impressed by the height/filler. Make sure you keep your upper-body up & still & looking forward, and keep your leg closed & supportive before & during the jump. Good luck!