The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Hiring a trainer to show your horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/hiring-trainer-show-your-horse-130116/)

ThirteenAcres 07-08-2012 09:11 PM

Hiring a trainer to show your horse?

First, let me say I am 100% new to reining. Before my riding break I was 100% devoted to training and running barrel horses. They are all I've owned and shown. When I was younger we would often give our barrel horses a mental break by hauling them to a penning or sorting and that's when my passion for those few horses I met with who could turn on a dime so gracefully began.

Skip forward a few years. I'm back into training and riding. I was provided the amazing opportunity to own a well bred, wonderful mare who just has potential seeping from her pores. So I decided then and there that I'd see her through as far as she enjoyed going. I have found a few local, recommended trainers with the set up and experience to get her started on the basics. She just turned 4 and is finishing up her growing and will be ready to start her finish work in the fall as far as backing goes. I've picked a trainer that I think can get her on the right track, but I don't know how far the girl can take her with her experience.

So I've been in the very early stages of thinking of hiring someone down the line to take my mare to a higher level if she shows the potential and heart for it like she has so far in everything else she's done. So my questions are, does anyone have experience with hiring a trainer to show your horse on the road? What were those experiences like? What were some of the conditions to the agreement?

Any and all advice is welcome. Even brutal honesty or opinions.

Thanks!

nrhareiner 07-13-2012 12:48 PM

I have used trainers for years. If you are looking to get your horse into reining and showing in the open skip all the other trainers and send her to true reining trainer one how has NRHA earnings to prove they can train and get one shown in the Open in NRHA. At the end of the day you will have a better trained broke horse and will cost you less. Taking a horse from trainer to trainer is a wast of money especially if the first few are not reining trainers. They may say they can start one but there is little way to prove it and each reining trainer can use slitly different cues and such so they will spend more time retraining your horse then training.

When I send a horse out to be trained for reining I do just that. I might start them here on the basics but past that I will not spend money to send them to anouther trainer before I send them up to the reining trainer I use.