The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Alfalfa Hay mix for overweight horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/alfalfa-hay-mix-overweight-horse-130120/)

Lonannuniel 07-08-2012 10:30 PM

Alfalfa Hay mix for overweight horse?

Hey guys, quick question, I have a rather overweight horse, I've owned him for a little over a month, and he HAS lost weight so far just on monitoring pasture time. I am at the point now where I have to start feeding hay, so I'm just wondering what the right options would be to aid in further weight loss -

Anyway, My neighbor currently stores his round bales in one of our covered sheds, they are very good quality, 60% timothy & 40% Alfalfa mix. I have always heard that you shouldn't feed overweight horses alfalfa, though because these bales are VERY convenient, and I get a discounted price on them, if I could feed those it would be wonderful ( getting different hay IS possible, just thought I'd see if the hay I have would work before looking elsewhere)

Assuming you are feeding the correct amounts, combined with exercise, would feeding this hay be alright? Or would it just make his weight issues worse?

Thanks!

Lonannuniel 07-09-2012 10:34 AM

bump..

aforred 07-09-2012 01:14 PM

As long as you can regulate how much he gets, it shouldn't be a problem. Ideally, he should probably be on grass; however, hay is going to be very hard to buy this year in a lot of places. It sounds like you have easy access to good hay at a good price, and I certainly wouldn't pass it up.

Hope I helped.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wallaby 07-09-2012 01:24 PM

I'm not sure of the exact answer but I can tell ya that my super easy-keeping mare stays FAT on just junky grass hay and a ration balancer in the summer. In the winter, the grass hay doesn't have enough protein for her (she'll loose weight SO fast on just grass hay) so I feed about 9lbs of alfalfa/day and free choice grass hay. With exercise, she stays at a really nice fit weight of about 900lbs (in the summer it's a struggle to get her lower than 1050lbs :shock: ).

So, I think if you monitor your horse, you'll probably be just fine. Just use your noggin. :)