The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Unidentified Rash, PLEASE HELP (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/unidentified-rash-please-help-130134/)

vanisle 07-08-2012 11:05 PM

Unidentified Rash, PLEASE HELP

Hey everyone, I have an issue with one of my mares, Nacara. She's a black Canadian and has quite sensitive skin, and recently developed a severe rash on her withers/back, along her spine. She has raised bumps in this area that are EXTREMELY itchy, and when i rub her on this rash, her hair comes out. She has a tree stump which her and the other horses like to rub on, and she has rubbed her skin absolutely raw in certain areas, to the point where she has open, weeping wounds. We have absolutely no idea what's causing this and I want to know if anyone else has had the same issue????

Conrad And Freddie 07-08-2012 11:13 PM

Is it possible to get pictures?

Sounds to me like your best bet would be to get the vet. If she is reacting to something the vet will be able to help identify it and provide treatment. I would wash the wound with just water to clean it and then keep her in an area where she can't scratch until the vet can come or the rash is identified. Sorry if this isn't much help

vanisle 07-08-2012 11:22 PM

unfortunately i can't get a picture, and we've been doing what you suggested. We've got some antiseptic balm we're putting on her, and we've got some camomile. Our horses are let out to pasture every night & kept in stalls during the day so to keep her in a stall would be too much i think. We had a vet from france visiting, and all he suggested was some antihistamines and such, just wondering if anyone else has had the same thing occur with their horses.

Lakotababii 07-09-2012 01:28 PM

All the vet suggested was antihistamines??

Is there a chance you can get a different vet? Open, seeping wounds is not normal.

Rashes can be caused by fungal infections, allergic reactions (in this case if it was that, it would have most likely been a spot reaction, not an internal thing), bug bites, etc.

Keep the area as clean as possible. Can you put up pictures?

DRichmond 07-09-2012 04:25 PM

For areas which aren't open and weeping, you can try calamine lotion to help stop the itching, as for the open sores I would spray them with betadine, and hopefully you can have a vet out for a look. ?

SueNH 07-09-2012 07:20 PM

Being let out at night...biting midges? I have a horse that will rub herself raw. The no-see-ums will make her run for the barn.

rascalboy 07-09-2012 08:28 PM

Get yourself a good dewormer. My friend's mare got decent sized bumps along her spine/back, and the hair fell out there. Turns out they were from worms. Lovely...
If they're still bothering her after a few days, have the vet check it.