The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   My Mare's Babies (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/my-mares-babies-130136/)

GypsyVannerLover 07-08-2012 11:12 PM

My Mare's Babies

I am wondering when my mare foals if I can put her in with the other mare that already had her baby? When my mare's baby goes up to the pregnant mares pen the momma comes up and takes the baby away. Do you think that the momma thinks she might steal her baby? Do you think they would be okay together when the other mare has her baby? The mare's have been together since they were very young. It's really weird seeing the momma do this. Help!

paintedpastures 07-08-2012 11:24 PM

The mare with the baby is acting normal,they do protect their baby like that as the baby gets older she will not be so uptight about where her baby goes to,right now she is telling baby don't talk to strangers:lol:.Your mare after foaling will act in a similiar manner.Mares & foals tend to integrate best with each other {especially if they are known to each other already},than if you just put a gelding or open mare out with mare & foal. I'm sure the 2 mare & babies will be fine:-).

GypsyVannerLover 07-08-2012 11:39 PM

paintedpastures: Thanks. I just want my mares to be close again. And I am excited to see what their babies think of each other. So would you recommend leaving the upcoming mom and her baby in her pen for 2 days and try introducing each mare again by halter?

paintedpastures 07-09-2012 12:24 AM

I would give them a chance to visit over fence for a few days at least before trying to reintroduce them:-). Baby needs to be following mom well & mom attentive to baby.You will also use that time to ensure mom & baby are doing well, having no imminent post foaling issues,baby nursing well etc :-). When I put my mares back to their herd{mixed herd},mom was quick to state boundaries & kept baby close.As they settle into herd & see that baby is safe in environment,other herd members are not a threat,things go on as usual:D

GypsyVannerLover 07-09-2012 12:38 AM

Thanks. That helps a lot. I will miss em being preggers./: