The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Took Squiggy to a rodeo yesterday (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/took-squiggy-rodeo-yesterday-130197/)

QHriderKE 07-09-2012 01:47 PM

Took Squiggy to a rodeo yesterday

And didn't enter! I was roping with Peanut, and decided to take Squiggy along for the ride. Before the roping slack, they had the barrels set up, so I quickly got on Squiggy and trotted her on the pattern a couple times, loped around a bit, and then rode around the rodeo grounds letting her see everything... like the Tarps of Death, Awnings of Terror, and the Screaming Demon Children. LOL... she handled it well. Just did a lot of stopping suddenly to look at something and whinny. We even hung out in the Open barrels line up and watched some horses spazz. She got a little excited with all of the horses running around, but she eventually stood calmly.

We went on a few bareback rides throughout the day too, no problems with that. In fact, we got lunch bareback :P

And, when I wasn't there, my dad met some people that train and race CCA (pro-ish rodeo) and somehow got them to take a look at my girl. They apparently really liked her, and when I met them and talked about how I'm going about training her, they said I was doing perfect and that next year I should go to some SBRA jackpots with her and just go at whatever pace because they are really inexpensive to enter.

After the rodeo, we went straight to a roping jackpot, (which I got 2nd in.) and after I was done roping and everyone was out of the arena, I worked Squiggy in the arena, just trotted around, did some bending, loped some nice circles, and even did a couple lead changes.

IM SO EXCITED.

Cacowgirl 07-09-2012 05:13 PM

Sounds like a good training day w/no mishaps. Nice also to have someone else confirm that you are doing things right, isn't it?

QHriderKE 07-09-2012 06:38 PM

I was pretty proud :D I would have liked a picture to show you... but my mom doesn't care about taking pictures of me.

waresbear 07-09-2012 06:41 PM

What did you have for lunch?

QHriderKE 07-09-2012 06:48 PM

^^ a dry burger. the burgers at rodeos recently have been crappy. She even stood for me to lean down and put ketchup on it. :P

barrelbeginner 07-12-2012 03:20 PM

:rofl:waresbear, were you hungery when you posted this. lol talking about how proud she is of her horse..

oh cool what did you have for lunch lol.

good job! IM PROUD of you!!! i remember when you posted something about her bucking you off and breaking your arm.. You deserve to feel very accomplished! your doing a wonderful job with her. I wish you lived closer to me so you could help me with Sunny lol:) Oh question.. If i show you a video of m just riding sunny in the arena will you give me some tips on what i can do to make him be a better barrel horse and what not? thankis:)

QHriderKE 07-12-2012 10:36 PM

Barrel, iM not sure how much help I can give you... I'm teaching myself all of the tricks and figuring out what works best for just squiggy... I don't quite have the experience starting horses on the pattern to hand out advice. Maybe in a couple years I will feel like I have the right, not not yet.