The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Dressage Tips (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/dressage-tips-130232/)

Teddy4life 07-09-2012 06:32 PM

Dressage Tips

I need some help with Dressage.

I am about to take part in my first Dressage Competition.
My teacher thinks I am ready but if you have any tips on:

Seat
Hands
Feet
Communication with your horse
Technique
Style
And any other "Dressage" stuff that would be great!:-)

tinyliny 07-09-2012 06:45 PM

that is so general of a request it's hard to know how to approach it. if your trainer thinks you are ready , then you probably are. I think the thing to remember, is "Breathe, smile and ride like you always do".
If it's your horse's first dressage show, be sure that you keep his/her mental state formost in your mind , over whether you win or not. I mean, not to let anxiety of competition make you stress the hrose too much.

Kayty 07-09-2012 09:54 PM

Sorry mate, you could fill about 50 novels and still have more to write with a question so broad!!

As Tiny said, just breathe and relax. Keep your legs hanging down quietly, quiet hands, look up, and ride forward. Don't let yourself get all tense, nervous and jerky in your riding. Just think about how you ride at home and focus on that.

PaigeOfPaper 07-09-2012 10:58 PM

Like the others said... too much to list! But if your trainer thinks you're ready, then most likely you are and what you've learned at home will become second nature when you enter the arena and you'll remember it. Put yourself in a good frame of mind, and tune everything else out when you enter the arena... remember to smile no matter how you feel you did, and relax--judges notice those things :) Best of luck!

Reno Bay 07-11-2012 12:38 AM

What everyone else says.

And to add on to the judges noticing your nervousness and stuff - the horse you're riding will definitely notice it too and it can affect their movement. Just chill, do what you always do, and have fun.