The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Question about breeding... I'm New :S (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/question-about-breeding-im-new-s-130237/)

horsesRamazing 07-09-2012 06:25 PM

Question about breeding... I'm New :S

So I Have a 3 year old mare and obviously not wanting to breed her now but later when she is a bit older. I was wondering what a good age for her to be bred at woulod be. Also she is a pinto with four white stalkings a stripe and bay with large white spots all over her, what colours should the stallion be to get gorgeous colour?

ThirteenAcres 07-09-2012 06:50 PM

Well. Firstly, I'd consider the breeding, conformation, and temperament. Then I'd not even consider breeding until your mare has a show record and can contribute back to a breed. Is she registered?

If she went on to have a show record and does have something to contribute, I'd then consider finances. A pregnant mare and the resulting foal take a large financial and emotional investment.

Lastly, never breed for color. While a pretty little colored foal is tempting, it is better to search for a stallion with a proven show record, nice babies already showing, good conformation and a good disposition. Color is last. Unless of course in breeding paints, then you have even more dangers lurking.

Annanoel 07-09-2012 06:54 PM

Couldn't agree more with you. Seriously, color is the last thing you want to consider...

ThirteenAcres 07-09-2012 06:57 PM

Unless being wary of frame. Then be considerate of the color you're breeding. Lol

Annanoel 07-09-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirteenAcres (Post 1589168)
Unless being wary of frame. Then be considerate of the color you're breeding. Lol

Lol, you are right. I do think a lot of people go foal crazy and just want a little baby. Not saying you do, that's just the truth. In all honestly though, they cost a lot and are a TON of work. If you really want to though, you do want to find a stallion sutible to your mare that compliments her, you also want to make sure though she has good conformation as well. Again, if I really sat and went into breeding it would be pages long...

horsesRamazing 07-09-2012 08:30 PM

My mare is paint and I would be breeding paints. She is registered both in PtHA and APHA and of coaurse I would consider conformation and tempermant first! Also she does have a show record but only in local shows nothing big like circuits or anything. Just the paint, pinto, and local shows.

NdAppy 07-09-2012 08:39 PM

What is her pedigree?

BTW your mare is a brown tobiano. :wink:

churumbeque 07-09-2012 09:12 PM

Just because a horse has a show record doesn't give it the go ahead for breeding. There are a lot of nice horses that may never get shown so that would not be a consideration of mine.

Bridgertrot 07-10-2012 01:33 AM

I second appy...your mare is brown, not bay ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

MyLittlePonies 07-13-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridgertrot (Post 1589722)
I second appy...your mare is brown, not bay ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Tell that to some of the registries. :wink: Some people who register their own horses or buy a horse only know to go off papers and end up a different color from papers alone or the registry makes a mistake. Too bad they couldn't have people update pictures for registration just to make sure the color is right. :wink: