The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

This doesn't look Pali to me

6K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  ThirteenAcres 
#1 ·
I'm just curious about this horse's color. I found her advertised on craigs list as a "grade blue eyed palomino." Is this actually an example of a Cremello?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I know that cremellos have "hazel" eyes and pink/freckled skin. Palominos can be so light that they look almost white (I knew one like that, cute little pony). Though I have never come across a solid colored horse with blue eyes.

Considering that hazel eyes might be able to be mistaken for blue, I might go with cremello for this horse.

#9 · (Edited)
Oh goodness there goes my lack of sleep. You are correct. I had champagne in my head instead of cremello.

Perfect example is a mare that belongs to a former member here. A black MFT with 2 blue eyes
That is quite a gorgeous animal. I only said that I haven't come across one. Didn't say it couldn't happen. Horses are truly amazing creatures.

#7 · (Edited)
In the picture it does look like it has blue eyes, but it's very hard to tell with that mane falling over it:)

I know most people on craigs list don't know their hand from their tush about some things... ha ha. I just wanted to see if I myself was right when I say, no...that's a cremello :)

I too hate seeing all the "gildings" and horses with great "confirmation." Why do they think people care if the horse has gone to "confirmation" and is now catholic. I want to know what it's Conformation is LOL. I've seen snowflake appys (solid horse with a few white spots on the butt) advertised as strawberry roans....and they declaire that it is a solid horse with "roaning" on the butt. I've seen colts that will grow up to be very nice mares one day too...isn't that quite a feat. sigh.... And miracle of miracles was the "gilding" that has been used as a broodmare and always has the prettiest little ponies that of course are all medal winning show horses now.

The thing that cracks me up is that everybody thinks their straight legged, tiny footed, knock kneed horse is such a great (insert discipline here) prospect and worth thousands of dollars even though it is currently a very bum high 2 year old who has never even seen a halter.

#8 ·
I agree, cremello. Folks just don't bother to learn about horse colors in general; whether it's just from lack of interest or lack of proper instruction, they just don't learn.

Also, I would like to mention that blue eyes on a solid horse does happen. It isn't common, but it's not impossible.

Perfect example is a mare that belongs to a former member here. A black MFT with 2 blue eyes

#17 ·
I'm shocked nobody else has picked up on this - the horse in the OP has PINK skin. That means it HAS TO be either dominant white, or double cream (or champagne but champagne pink is darker). It ain't DW. That means by default, it MUST be a double cream of some form.

#21 ·
The horse in the ad is most likely a cremello. (Dominant white still has dark eyes, AFAIK, and a very light pali would have dark eyes and dark skin evident at the muzzle unless a white marking was masking it)

I'd actually consider mistaking a cremello for a palomino is one of the less ignorant mistakes you see on CL... since it is after all the same gene as palomino, just two copies of it, and I know my cremello can have a golden sheen in his summer coat.

As a side note, cremellos can on occasion have eye colors other than blue. Mine has one blue and one light green eye, and someone posted a link to this picture of a color tested cremello (Amberfields Desperado) with dark green eyes:

Reactions: TexanFreedom
#22 ·
I agree a cremello. I also agree that i had to stop myself from emailing people on there just to correct them. Like with Grey horses they put "white" or bay/sorrel horses they say "brown". It han be aggrevating, however I think horses with blue eyes are just breath taking especially champagne horses :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.