The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   How do trainers become trainers? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/how-do-trainers-become-trainers-130283/)

DoubleS 07-09-2012 11:37 PM

How do trainers become trainers?

...Like do you have to go to college or something? Or is it kind of a self-proclaimed title?
I don't think I want to be a horse trainer, but I'm just really curious :D

waresbear 07-09-2012 11:38 PM

You work with other trainers, & go to clinics, then work with more trainers & repeat.

Copperhead 07-09-2012 11:53 PM

I was given horses. I didn't follow trainers until later, when I went to further my education.

There came a time where some horses needed some extra help, and I was the only idiot who wasn't scared to do it. Someone mentioned the problem and I said "I'll do it".

I later followed suit in actually learning how to train from a trainer. She taught me for 2 years straight, 4 hours a day, 5-6 days a week on multiple different horses of different riding levels.

She taught me on horses who had never been touched, horses who were scared of their own shadows, horses who were out to hurt you, horses who were difficult school masters and just plain, run of the mill problem horses. It was like boot camp.

I loved it.

paintedpastures 07-10-2012 12:15 AM

I find many trainers{Accomplished ones I know} competed as youth & where good riders, accomplished in their field/discipline & had that horse passion. As they got older they followed down that road & apprenticed with a known trainer,learning ,gaining more responsibilities & starting to get recognition for their riding/training skillls:-). From there they stepped out on there own,starting there own training business.
Others I've met :
Some come from a working horse background,start out as ranch hands or grew up with it,something that passed down through family,spend lotsa miles in saddle,break out young colts,after years of day in & out of that they learn alot.After a while they realize their gift of handling horses & start training others :D.
Yet Another:
Then there is those that think they are all that & joe trainer .They hang up the trainer sign & act try act the part.Unfortunately there is a few too many of them:shock:

No not all trainers are created equal,one should do there homework:wink:

Darrin 07-10-2012 01:09 AM

Mostly being a trainer is self proclaimed or proclaimed by others and they accept the title. This creates quite an issue since there are more bad trainers than good ones out there.

Saskia 07-10-2012 04:04 AM

It's self-proclaimed, and up to the customer to discover if they're worth it/good or not. Some people do apprenticeship type things with well known trainers, others just picked up things working on stations or with their own horses.

Word gets around fairly quickly in the horse world, and this is the way I have always found instructors and trainers.

Palomine 07-10-2012 11:35 AM

Some go to college to learn, others grew up in the business with parents who trained, and still others have groomed, apprenticed, and then opened their own stable.

Any and all of the above will make you a trainer. Hopefully a real one.

cowboy bowhunter 07-10-2012 12:11 PM

I have seen many many trainers that, Started showing horses that they owned and trained. They did good and people bought those horses and that kept going on till they got known for good horses then people started sending them horses.

kitten_Val 07-10-2012 12:37 PM

"How do trainers become trainers?"

By working their butts off riding as many different horses as possible and getting as much instructions and knowledge as possible with the best instructors/trainers available. At least those really great ones I know.

P.S. And just to add... Some accomplished trainers I know still go to clinics, symposiums, and even lessons with the higher level trainers to keep improving and learning.

BarrelRacer23 07-10-2012 04:25 PM

By working towards it. Taking any horse that your offered to ride and making it better. Using your own horses as examples to show what your capable of. Most training I think it's just a knack you either have or don't, and of course learning from the right people to enhance that talent. Basically it's working your butt off all the time to prove yourself to others.

Can be self proclaimed, but personally I would rather have people judge me for themselves
Posted via Mobile Device