The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   First tattoo help? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/first-tattoo-help-130291/)

TristaJean 07-10-2012 01:07 AM

First tattoo help?

1 Attachment(s)
So my 18th birthday is coming up and I'm thinking about getting this tattoo.
It's meaningful to me and i'm going to make some changes to it so it's not just something I found on the internet, don't worry. :-)

The picture is the same size as I want it, but I'll probably shorten the mane and neck lines that come down.

So for my actual questions:

How much do you think this tattoo would cost?

How much do tattoos on your back or in general hurt? (I know it feels different for each person, but still....)

riccil0ve 07-10-2012 01:24 AM

There is usually a minimum cost, ranging between $50-70, even if your tattoo is tiny. I'm on my phone so my guess on size is likely wrong, but I would assume you're looking at around $100-150 plus a tip.

As far as pain, your back shouldn't hurt that bad. Anything over bone with little fat [shoulder blade, spine] will hurt more. I only have one tattoo on the inside of my wrist, didn't hurt at all. I have a friend with tattoos everywhere [arms, legs, chest, neck, hands, shoulders, back] and he said what hurt the most was the inside of his upper arm.

Just remember to get a GOOD artist! Look at their portfolio, make sure you like what they've done, and avoid the cheapest one. You don't want an obviously cheap tattoo your whole life.

Just a warning, tattoos are addicting. =]
Posted via Mobile Device

WesternBella 07-10-2012 02:02 AM

My biggest advice: make appointments at a few different tattoo places, get them to draw it up & ask for a price. Tell them you will think about it. Then pick the best drawing & price, that way you will know you got the best tattoo possible. If you are unhappy with the smallest thing, don't get. If you are going to have something on your body for the rest of your life, you need to love it.

Good luck & pictures when it's done!!
Posted via Mobile Device

nyx 07-10-2012 02:10 AM

I agree with the above posters :)

I have one big tattoo that is like a band around my leg that was only 150 bucks and the top didnt even hurt but as soon as he started doing the back of my thigh and the inside of my leg thats when the watery eyes started lol.

I have another on my lower back wich is about the same size as yours and it was 80 bucks which was the minimum set up fee. That hurt probably almost as much. Basically the areas that hurt the most are areas that dont see the sun much so they are more sensitive . But its no pain that you cant bear. :) just more annoying than anything.

Good luck! And post pics :D

Duren 07-10-2012 03:07 AM

My most painful tatt was the one between my shoulder blades. Holy hell. I'm guessing $150ish...I wouldnt pay over that since its a pretty basic design. Good luck!

TristaJean 07-14-2012 11:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got it done earlier today!

:-) I'm so happy with it! I think it's so perfect! And it didn't even hurt that bad, it felt just like a cat scratch....if a cat had metal claws. :wink:

smrobs 07-14-2012 11:48 PM

It looks great! You are a smart girl getting your first one there, the shoulderblades don't hurt as much as other areas. I made the mistake of getting my first one on my lower abdomen, about 2 inches inside the point of my hip bone. Yeah, that one hurt.

IME, though, the spine is the absolute worst. That, to me, was complete agony.

TristaJean 07-15-2012 12:04 AM

My older sister got her first tattoo on the top of her foot. Ouch, ouch, ouch.

Yeah it hurt pretty bad when he got on the Shoulderblade itself, but it was totally worth it :)
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelWannabe 07-15-2012 12:12 AM

Just remember: Slap, don't scratch! Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

TristaJean 07-15-2012 12:16 AM

Just like a weave :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device