The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Playing in the water trough (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/playing-water-trough-130356/)

JHass 07-10-2012 03:39 PM

Playing in the water trough

Hi all! Does anyone else have a horse that likes to take a "swim" in the water trough? My TB mare does this at least once a day if it's over 80 degrees or so. It would be one thing if she just stuck her feet in there and got it dirty, but she splashes every drop of water out of the trough, so I feel like I need to come home in the middle of the day to make sure it isn't empty. We're also on a well, so I hate to "waste" water. Kind of obnoxious! Good thing I'm a trainer/instructor and I work from home 95% of the time. She won't do it while I'm standing out there because she knows that I disapprove. Thoughts on how to stop the behavior?

DancingArabian 07-10-2012 03:47 PM

Funny, at my last barn there were four TB's that would do similar. I say similar because they would rear and plop both fronts in the trough and splash like mad and then flip the trough over. They would only do it when the water was clean. I don really see what you could do except change the type of water container or set more out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Corporal 07-10-2012 03:57 PM

I've had horses that do similar things, but nobody has routinely emptied the trough on a daily basis. This has become his toy. Where is your trough? Is there a way that you can place it so that only about 12 inches is available to drink from, maybe "fence" it in? Otherwise you may have to invest in a Richie waterer. They are wonderful, but pricey. Wood is cheaper.

PaintHorseMares 07-10-2012 04:12 PM

Our mare, Lady, will stand in the water (rubber, 110 gal) and splash enough to wet her neck and chest when it's hot. Luckily, she leaves enough water for everyone else.
Posted via Mobile Device

leapoffaithfarm 07-10-2012 04:18 PM

I had a horse that used to do this to ... what i did that gave him another way to cool off was i put out a sprinkler (you know the kind that you used to run thru when you where i kid) then when it was hot out he would choose to just stand under there for as long as he wanted.

Miloismyboy 07-10-2012 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Milo likes taking a clean trough and making a mess out of it...

HarleyWood 07-10-2012 05:35 PM

ugh my moms horse will paw in it i have no clue why! just one of his legs that ive seen i was coming up to the barn/pastrue and found him trying to get out. we were wondering why the water was always dirty and saw him doing it. i dump it out daily and he leaves water left so we arent as worried but hes a Mustang, 3 and a half years old.

COWCHICK77 07-10-2012 05:46 PM

I used to have one of those big fiberglass LooMix tubs, the horses used to get in it if it was hot out and I got tired of patching it. I built a "table" to put it on. Tall enough to discourage them from climbing in but low enough so they could easily drink out of.
Posted via Mobile Device

Taffy Clayton 07-10-2012 06:24 PM

My TB / draft cross would climb in the H2O trough on a daily basis. it was galvanized and I thought for sure she would injure herself or the trough.
I raised the trough, I put it on concrete blocks, double high, 16" since it was a tall trough to begin with, she could not lift her legs high enough to get them inside the trough, worked great, you could use landscape ties or bircks or anything you have around the farm.

BarrelracingArabian 07-10-2012 06:24 PM

My old mustang gelding used to do that he would use one leg and splash until the buckey was completely empty then toss it around till wr came and refilled it. He broke many haha but never dod it in their other metal large trough. Just the smaller plastic ones