The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How do you train for choppers? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-do-you-train-choppers-130376/)

Corporal 07-10-2012 05:59 PM

How do you train for choppers?

DH and I are getting involved in local Search and Rescue. We've trained for gunfire, but they will be using helicopters. Has anybody trained for this at home without the choppers? Or, has anybody trained for balloons?

Kayella 07-10-2012 06:01 PM

You could get those giant industrial fans to imitate the wind disturbance, and a really good sound system? :lol:

Corporal 07-10-2012 06:06 PM

I DO have a big, industrial fan. Good thought.
Anybody else?

DancingArabian 07-11-2012 12:03 AM

I think Rick Pelicanos Bombproofing CD has helicopter noises on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

EvilHorseOfDoom 07-11-2012 12:10 AM

Whatever method/s you choose, please keep us updated on progress, sounds like a very interesting desensitisation project!

I think I'd need to be desensitised for choppers, every time I hear one I all but dash under cover. Too many hours playing Battlefield...

Foxhunter 07-11-2012 10:10 AM

Quite honestly if your horses are well trained then they rarely take notice of choppers.
I have had them land in the field and although the horses were in close paddocks and not in the same field, they were all at the nearest fence to investigate.

It is much the same with balloons. Horses have no predators from the air so should not be bothered by them!

I was actually leading in five young unbroken horses one evening when a hot air balloon, flame blazing, came very low directly over us. (We were hidden from his sight by trees) Only one horse started to pull away from me. A quick jerk on his halter and the words "You DARE!" and he thought better of it and stayed still.

My horses accept that if I say it is OK then it is and will trust me that nothing nasty will happen.

These are all TBs some have raced and others will be.

gypsygirl 07-11-2012 10:17 AM

i was riding my horse on the trail alone one and a balloon landing very close to me ! i moved further away when i saw it coming down bc i didnt know exactly where is was going, but the horse didnt care at all.

maybe for the chopper you could have big fans on and play the noise so they hear the noise and get the wind.

good luck =]

MHFoundation Quarters 07-11-2012 10:29 AM

Interesting question. We have lifeline pass over our farm frequently and oodles of crop dusters. I think mine would be okay with it but now you've got my curiosity piqued!

Is there a local airport? We have a small (teeny) one for local private pilots and they do have a couple of choppers. Maybe you could find someone to do a fly-by for you?

rascalboy 07-11-2012 12:12 PM

Well, your horses have probably heard airplanes and helicopters before... Otherwise, go stand next to a train or something. It's about as loud and annoying.

Kayella 07-11-2012 12:24 PM

It's not just the sound. It's the sound and vibrations coming from up above them. It's the mass air disturbance. It's the moving propellers. They might be used to the sound, when it's miles up in the air, but they aren't used to having one land right next to them.