The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Help curing the BOUNCE (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/help-curing-bounce-13039/)

girl_on_black_pony 08-09-2008 09:01 PM

Help curing the BOUNCE

Eek. Im going to start in western pleasure, but I am horrible about bouncing. Trotting is the worst, but cantering is hard too, because some say its okay to bounce, but 'scoop' your seat, and others say just sit and dont bounce.
What do I do to cure the bounce? Besides posting, LOL

GallopAway 08-09-2008 10:56 PM

I'm not really sure about what's correct or incorrect for western pleasure, as I've never done it.

But for not bouncing -
Just relax and breath. Sit tall, sink you're weight down, and use you're lower half to sort of "flow" with the horse.
Practice, practice, practice. Just get out there and keep working on it. =]

Pinto Pony 08-10-2008 01:00 AM

Make sure your horse is striding out low and long, maybe some trot poles at a distance slightly longer than his normal trot stride to make him stretch out more and not go as vertical! Then you can ride the smooth trot without bounce ;)

And the same for the canter, make him nice and long, without speed, for a smoother canter. Use canter poles slightly longer than his regular stride to encourage him to stretch out and not up as much.

Solon 08-10-2008 01:03 AM

Relax your lower back and melt into the horse - that's the best way to describe it.

girl_on_black_pony 08-10-2008 05:41 PM

Sometimes, if I really try, I can sit the trot.
Ill keep practicing

HooverH 08-13-2008 12:01 PM

Make sure to loosen your hips and let your lower body move with the horse. Your upper body is going to move a little, just remain loose and relaxed. Don't tense up if you're moving too much, which is really hard (experience speaking :wink: ).

What's worked for me, which may not be the right way, is to just keep trying to sit the trot until I learn the movement of the horse and how to move with him. He recently started giving me a canter, so I have no advice for that yet. :lol:

claireauriga 08-13-2008 12:10 PM

You shouldn't bounce in the canter - bouncing happens when you're tensed up. Relax into the motion - there will be some vertical movement but your bum shouldn't really leave the saddle.

girl_on_black_pony 08-13-2008 07:30 PM

Hm, Ill try...

iridehorses 08-13-2008 08:49 PM

Some horses are just plain smooth and it's easy to sit the trot and canter - it's all in the angle of the shoulder and pastern. The canter should typically be a smoother gait then the trot and easier to sit.

When I ride one that is choppy, as mentioned above, I'll work harder at sitting deeper and getting into rhythm with my horse. I'll also collect him and that smooths him out as well.

iheartcloudnine 08-13-2008 10:43 PM

I don't know much about Western Pleasure, I ride English and bareback, but I will offer my advice anyways. :D

I would say to do stirrupless work and really follow your horse. Maybe some bareback riding, too. I would just keep on practicing and do not tense up! That will just make you brace and give you no hope of "melting" (as Solon described earlier ;) ) with your horse.

You can do it! Just keep at it. :)