The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What do you do with you empty supplement buckets? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-do-you-do-you-empty-130392/)

COWCHICK77 07-10-2012 07:37 PM

What do you do with you empty supplement buckets?

I have never been much on supplementing unless a horse really needs it. But I have put Gracie on a hoof supplement per my shoer, Zorro on a gut supplement per my vet, and put him on an antihistamine for his bloody itchy mess of Sweet Itch.

I have quite the collection of various sized of plastic buckets/tubs that these supplements come in. My frugal side refuses to throw them out!

What do you guys reuse them for? Or do you toss them?

waresbear 07-10-2012 07:43 PM

I put them over my head & dance around like an idiot!:happydance:

gunslinger 07-10-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1590960)
I put them over my head & dance around like an idiot!:happydance:

In the red bikini I suppose? :-P

COWCHICK77 07-10-2012 07:48 PM

Bah ha ha! If I wasn't on my phone, I would post a embarring picture of my dad sitting in a rubber boat(on dry land) with a bucket on his head and a beer in his hand, seems appropriate.

waresbear 07-10-2012 07:52 PM

But on a more serious note.....I buy those big bags of horse crunch cookies. I fill those small supplement bucket with the cookies and keep them in various spots so I don't have to always walk to the barn & go in the feed freezer to get a treat. Other than that, I try not to be a hoarder & chuck out what I am not using.

Wallaby 07-10-2012 07:54 PM

I use them for other supplements.

I'm kinda a supplement fiend so my girls are getting raspberry leaves, MSM, flax seed, and loose salt(cuz I have no where that's accessible all the time and covered to put a salt block in) with their ration balancer. The only thing that actually comes in its own container out of those is the MSM. I've just reused other supplement containers so I have a flax seed "bucket", a salt bucket, and a container for the raspberry leaves.
It confuses the heck out of my lesson kids (another bonus!!) but it's more convenient than trying to use whatever awkward bag the stuff originally came in.

I also have my indoor cat's catgrass growing in another leftover container. My mom says it looks trashy, I say it looks "eco-chic". :rofl:

Jake and Dai 07-10-2012 08:04 PM

I use them for when I need a small bucket of water rather than drag out the big one. I also use them as a watering can for some flowers I have planted round the barn, rather than bring the one I have by the house out. I always end up leaving it in the spot where I don't need to use it.

I also use it as a catch all for whatever small bits and pieces I have laying around the barn.

The rest, I toss in the recycle bin. :D

Chardavej 07-10-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallaby (Post 1590980)
loose salt(cuz I have no where that's accessible all the time and covered to put a salt block in)

You can put the salt block out in the open doesn't have to be covered and really doesn't wear down from rain and such. We have three large salt blocks out in the open (one by each water trough) and they last a long time, even with 13 horses licking them they last months and months. :)

As for the used buckets, I use some for misc pieces like fencing stuff and screws and such, feed buckets, water buckets, buckets to hold stuff in the tack room, trailer, use them for camping, give them away and the rest goes to be recycled. :)

MHFoundation Quarters 07-10-2012 08:13 PM

I have tons of them too. A few things mine have been repurposed for:
-Fence staples (no stupid cardboard boxes to break down and spill)
-my daughter snagged one for her sidewalk chalk
-picking raspberries & blackberries, they are a good fit to hang off the 4-wheeler bars
-Pre-mixed & measured meals for the horses when on the road or at a show

Faceman 07-10-2012 08:39 PM

If you have ever given an empty bucket to a pit bull to play with, then you probably know what I do with mine...