The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What do you do with you empty supplement buckets?

3K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  stormylass 
#1 ·
I have never been much on supplementing unless a horse really needs it. But I have put Gracie on a hoof supplement per my shoer, Zorro on a gut supplement per my vet, and put him on an antihistamine for his bloody itchy mess of Sweet Itch.

I have quite the collection of various sized of plastic buckets/tubs that these supplements come in. My frugal side refuses to throw them out!

What do you guys reuse them for? Or do you toss them?

#5 ·
But on a more serious note.....I buy those big bags of horse crunch cookies. I fill those small supplement bucket with the cookies and keep them in various spots so I don't have to always walk to the barn & go in the feed freezer to get a treat. Other than that, I try not to be a hoarder & chuck out what I am not using.

Reactions: COWCHICK77
#6 ·
I use them for other supplements.

I'm kinda a supplement fiend so my girls are getting raspberry leaves, MSM, flax seed, and loose salt(cuz I have no where that's accessible all the time and covered to put a salt block in) with their ration balancer. The only thing that actually comes in its own container out of those is the MSM. I've just reused other supplement containers so I have a flax seed "bucket", a salt bucket, and a container for the raspberry leaves.
It confuses the heck out of my lesson kids (another bonus!!) but it's more convenient than trying to use whatever awkward bag the stuff originally came in.

I also have my indoor cat's catgrass growing in another leftover container. My mom says it looks trashy, I say it looks "eco-chic". :rofl:

#8 ·
loose salt(cuz I have no where that's accessible all the time and covered to put a salt block in)
You can put the salt block out in the open doesn't have to be covered and really doesn't wear down from rain and such. We have three large salt blocks out in the open (one by each water trough) and they last a long time, even with 13 horses licking them they last months and months. :)

As for the used buckets, I use some for misc pieces like fencing stuff and screws and such, feed buckets, water buckets, buckets to hold stuff in the tack room, trailer, use them for camping, give them away and the rest goes to be recycled. :)

#7 ·
I use them for when I need a small bucket of water rather than drag out the big one. I also use them as a watering can for some flowers I have planted round the barn, rather than bring the one I have by the house out. I always end up leaving it in the spot where I don't need to use it.

I also use it as a catch all for whatever small bits and pieces I have laying around the barn.

The rest, I toss in the recycle bin. :D

#9 ·
I have tons of them too. A few things mine have been repurposed for:
-Fence staples (no stupid cardboard boxes to break down and spill)
-my daughter snagged one for her sidewalk chalk
-picking raspberries & blackberries, they are a good fit to hang off the 4-wheeler bars
-Pre-mixed & measured meals for the horses when on the road or at a show

Reactions: COWCHICK77
#14 ·
I have tons of them too. A few things mine have been repurposed for:
-Fence staples (no stupid cardboard boxes to break down and spill)
-my daughter snagged one for her sidewalk chalk
-picking raspberries & blackberries, they are a good fit to hang off the 4-wheeler bars
-Pre-mixed & measured meals for the horses when on the road or at a show
And don't forget to add, YOU ALSO put them on your head & dance around. :happydance: Admit it!

#12 ·
Faceman, that reminded me of a neighbor that had a huge Rott. That preferred a large smooth river rock as a playtoy....as she got older her teeth came out or were smooth..lol

Not sure if dogs will play with the buckets but they enjoy a small empty water bottle occasionally!

Good ideas guys, thanks!

#17 ·
*I also reuse as a treat bucket
*for other supplements that come in crappy bags large sizes
*A tack cleaning bucket
*use as a feed scoop for feed, the ones I have hold the same amount as large scoop, then I don't need to buy a bunch of scoops or be always looking in the feed tubs for the scoop, great for soaking small amounts of beet pulp or bran mash's
* water bucket for dogs

LOVE the idea of using for making individual meals well on the road :)

And when they get worn out, broken or I just have to many I recycle them :)

#23 ·
Thanks you guys for the suggestions!
All great ideas, but agree I probably won't be giving any to hubby to put stuff in either.
He forgets where he was placed a tool, assumes it is gone forever, buys a new one. Then in the process of looking for a completely different item, he finds the original to the duplicate he just bought! Good thing is, I have built up my own tool collection that I keep hidden from him of all his duplicates...tee he he!

#25 ·
I reuse practically everything. The quart-sized supplements are now my scoops in my dog food and cat food metal (garbage) storage cans. When I travel for a day or two I bring my horses's grain and a measure in them--you have to save the lids for this. One supplement plastic container is now used to carry chicken feed to my flock's feeders. A couple of containers with self-lids are used for gardening. The possibilities are endless. =D

#27 ·
:lol:I am a bucket hoarder,I admit it ,I'm in a 12 step program... but it's not working. I use them for everything I even keep a few in the truck "just in case" they have come in handy out here ,there is always some sort of livestock running around the roads around here and the universal word for "come here" is hold out a bucket!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.