The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   This is why you we gloves and use a mane pulling comb to pull a mane!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/why-you-we-gloves-use-mane-130393/)

Klassic Superstar 07-10-2012 07:37 PM

This is why you we gloves and use a mane pulling comb to pull a mane!!

It hurts so bad!
Note to self: use gloves at least!
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/...2/4948ce2f.jpg
It looks way worse today then yesterday
Hoping it heals up fast cause I am grooming at a horse show all weekend and it will get super annoying if it doesn't heal up!

waresbear 07-10-2012 07:40 PM

Been there, blistered that! Learnt the lesson. Guess you & me aren't cut out to be hand models, are we?

Klassic Superstar 07-10-2012 07:46 PM

That's for sure! Whoo did that burn when I took my shower!!!
This mane was, still is insane! It's a shire/TB mare who has never had her mane pulled and it's in dreads and about 4 feet long and on both sides, and about a pillow size in thickness!
I got the one side taken care of yesterday and then looked down and was like oh that's not good!

Casey02 07-10-2012 09:49 PM

Ouuuch size doesnt matter when it comes to a cut, i bet that thing stings!

MidsummerFable 07-11-2012 06:28 PM

I always wrap my fingers in black tape when I pull manes. Hate blisters...

equiniphile 07-11-2012 11:40 PM

I got those all over last spring when I did Molly's. I found it easier to use my hand than the comb, especially with a mare who would fling her head everywhere when she saw the comb coming, and didn't notice the giant blisters until I put her away. It hurts, that's for sure!

Eclipse295 07-12-2012 02:25 PM

Ouch. That is why I like my horses. My haflinger is shown with a long natural mane and so is my mini.

busysmurf 07-12-2012 02:46 PM

If it makes you feel any better, my 3 yr old says I have "rock hands" from all my blisters calousing over:)

OwnedByAlli 07-12-2012 05:33 PM

Ooh ouch! :shock: been there with manes! Why I invested 2 in a mane comb haha

My hands are gradually becoming as tough as my Dads-a joiner/labourer- and I have proper man shaped hands already :-| good for gripping ropes and reins, not good when looking for pretty rings etc for prom!

Worst burn I got was from a nylon lunge line... 1" burn across my forefinger, 3" burn across palm couldn't hold a pen for like 3 days (difficult to explain at school why my writing suddenly turned all spidery) and never lunged without gloves since!!

If you need to protect it, put a normal plaster on it and cover it with duct tape/whatevers closest to hand. Just use 2 little strips each side of the joint so you still have movement :)

goingnowhere1 07-12-2012 10:09 PM

That happened to me too when I was using a cheaters comb to shorten Suzie's. All I can say is oww! And of course when it happened to me, it bled like the mississippi river and my trainer was having a heart attack!