The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to clean a gelding that doesnt like it

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Casey02 
#1 ·
Is there anything I can do to clean my geldings sheath when he doesnt like it? I know it needs to be done but hes not much for it. Anything I can do to give him, wether it be a shot, calming meds etc to calm him down to get this done?

#2 ·
I use baby oil for the 'in between' cleans - when he drops his willy out, give it a squirt of baby oil. You don't even need to touch it. This softens up all of the gunk that is stuck up there, and it will peel off and work its way out.
For the big cleans, I just get my vet to do it. They sedate the horse so that they can get right up and give it a thorough clean. I don't feel confident enough to try and remove beans without doing damage, so I'd much rather leave it to my ever reliable vet :)

#6 ·
It's just like any other "Oh no!" spot. You just have to get them accustomed to being touched there. Start with a cue stick or something long enough to keep you safe. Rub it on their belly and work your way back. If they move or kick at it, let them. Just keep holding it there as best you can until they stand still. Then move the stick forward and rub and repeat. As they get better at standing still, you can switch to using your hand. Do it every day for a week. By then it will be just another part of you grooming them.
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
This will work for almost every horse. I use a heavy dowel rod with a sponge on the end. There are the few exceptions that it won't fix though, I've got one of them. I spent a good month fighting the good fight to get him over it and he still will "kick a barn down" to avoid it. He's great with pretty much anything else asked of him so I sedate him and don't bother with the battle.

#9 ·
My boy pretty much gets his out for you!

However if you want to give it a thorughly good clean and the pony wont drop it for you then you are best off getting the vet out to sedate him. A sedated horse will let it all hang out and it is far safer for you to clean perticularly if he doesnt like it.

#10 ·
I used baby oil on my former horse and his sheath swelled up. The vet said not to use that as it can burn their tissues. I felt so bad!!! I thought that it was gentle enough for a baby, it should be gentle enough for his man bits - wrong! The vet that comes out to the barn (he is a terrific equine vet with many many years experience) told me to clean sheaths with Dawn detergent ( don't go crazy with it though) and make sure they are rinsed clean and you shouldn't have a problem.

#13 ·
Thank you guys for all the great suggestions! I will start working my way closer and closer to his sheath. I can touch him anywhere else so hopefully that might work, he doesnt have a problem dropping, in fact it I scratch his butt he drops hahaha! But if that doesnt work it looks like I will try baby oil or dawn dish soap. Where do you get the demorsedan gel? And that is for a sheath cleaning correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.