The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Gaits of the Gypsy Vanner? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/gaits-gypsy-vanner-130421/)

Lunavi 07-11-2012 12:18 AM

Gaits of the Gypsy Vanner?

I know there has to be a few Gypsy Vanner owners hanging out here somewhere, so maybe I can get a real world answer...

Background....I WANT a Gypsy Vanner! I have for a few years now, but I probably wouldn't even look at acquiring one for at least another 10 years, as I have my 12 year old QH/Morgan and my 3 year old TWH right now.

So I've read in a few places ( online ) that Gypsies prefer and are more comfortable in a trot vs. a canter. I used to know a Newfoundland Pony who was this way ( and he had a rough canter ), as they are also bred/built as trotting cart ponies. I love to canter....lots!....and I wouldn't want to "force" my horse to do a lot of something that it's less comfortable doing, if any of that makes sense...

So from Gypsy owners out there, does your horse enjoy cantering, or if given the choice would it trot, and is their canter smooth?

Schulzs89 07-11-2012 11:03 AM

They walk trot and canter like the rest of them. From what I have heard their stride is on the shorter side but they should not be that bumpy. Some horses have preferences but gypsies are making their way into the dressage world and I have seen several do cross country. Hope that helps.

Schulzs89 07-11-2012 11:06 AM

Also, the gypsy that prefers a trot might just be out of shape. Gypsies are also known to overheat so it is best to warm them up good as well as a long cooling down after riding.

Foxhunter 07-11-2012 03:13 PM

They were bred to pull carts, plain and simple, not meant as a riding horse.
They have the same paces as other horses and are quite capable of canter but, their stride is usually short and choppy. They are also short necked, heavy headed and most are not the best of comfortable rides.

As for trotting, this stems from travellers, who rarely travel nowadays, having horses just because they can and they often have illegal trotting races so, they want something that can really trot.

Schulzs89 07-11-2012 03:28 PM

I don't believe any of those horses in the videos are gypsies, maybe part but definitely not full blooded.

Check out this link of this gypsy doing dressage.

Schulzs89 07-11-2012 03:32 PM

Well not really dressage, but riding. They are becoming pretty popular mounts!

FeatheredFeet 07-11-2012 04:15 PM

Just as in any breed, you will find Gypsies which prefer one gait over another. And again, just as in other breeds, one might be a smoother ride than another.

Gypsies in the UK, do NOT use Gypsy Horses/Cobs, for trotting races. They use their trotters.

Gypsy Horses made a very good account of themselves, in all diciplines these days. Many do very well in dressage and most also love to jump. Last year in one show, there were over 100 entered.

As in any breed, one should try out a trained horse and see if it suits.

As a side note - only an extremely small minority of Gypsies are 'Vanners'. Only those who are registered in the Vanner registry, are Vanners. It was a term, coined by a breeder in Florida, who widely advertised his registry. Most across the world, call them Gypsy Horses or Cobs. In European countries, they are known as Tinkers.

By the way, a few Gypsies are gaited. Fairly rare, but they are about.

Lizzie

Schulzs89 07-11-2012 04:27 PM

Feathered feet, please check out my gypsy colt on the conformation page. I know he is just a baby, but I would love to hear what you think of him this far!

domainedetara 07-19-2012 10:55 AM

In Europe Gyspy Vanner or Gypsy has breed doesn't exist, so mine are registered in Irish Cob studbook and I confirm my stallion (approved for breeding) and one of my mare are good in dressage, spanish walk, session... they are good !

FeatheredFeet 07-19-2012 01:48 PM

In many European countries, the breed is known as 'Tinkers'.

Gypsy Horses, Gypsy Vanners, Tinkers, Irish Cobs, Gypsy Cobs = all names for the same breed.

Lizzie