The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   What jumping saddle doe you have? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/what-jumping-saddle-doe-you-have-130423/)

pep 07-11-2012 12:33 AM

What jumping saddle doe you have?

I'm buying my first horse so i was looking for a saddle and I was wondering what saddles everybody has, what they think of it and how much it cost, my budget is 3000$ but if your saddle was more then that please share anyways because there's always used saddles, I posted something in the tack section too but I thought the jumper section would also be helpful

Princess Bubblegum 07-11-2012 03:00 PM

Well darn. I got my saddle for free, it's an All purpose saddle.. Super scratched up, about 15 years old! :) I've been riding and showing in it for quite a while now.. I'm finally about to go buy a nice jumping saddle after being a jumper for nearly 5 years! Haha.

I've never done any sort of upkeep on the saddle (aside of cleaning), it's always had the perfect fit, and it's always went well with my current mare. I guess I'm just lucky!

JustDressageIt 07-11-2012 03:07 PM

When I was looking with approximately the same budget, I looked at used saddles of the following brands:
- Antares
- Childeric
- Devoucoux
- CWD
- Exselle
I ended up going with an Exselle eventing saddle as it worked best for myself and my horse.. I really hope he muscles up enough to fit an Antares in the next couple of years - that is my dream saddle. You won't find them new for $3k but you will find some nice used ones for that price point.
Posted via Mobile Device

heymckate 07-11-2012 05:07 PM

My budget was significantly less than that! But I just bought a Bates Elevation. The design appealed to me, along with how it fit my horse.

kaykat31 07-11-2012 06:54 PM

Hi there! I actually like used saddles over brand new saddles, as they're already broken in. I really like the Antares, and you can get a demo saddle Antares for $2500-$3500, and they're like a lightly broken in new saddle & much cheaper. I also like the Delgrange, although there aren't any dealers in the US at the moment, so it depends on your location & whether or not you use ebay, etc. The CWD isn't bad, but I prefer the Antares over it, it kind of depends on your taste. If you'd rather save money, a good starter saddles are Pessoa, Ovations, Devecoux and certain Bates. Just don't get an adjustable/changable gullet. I suggest trying to find a horse first, and then finding a saddle to fit the horse's back. Good luck!

countercanter 07-11-2012 07:10 PM

I would definitely wait until you actually get your horse before you go saddle shopping, just to make sure it fits your horse. It can be a long and frustrating process but don't just settle for any saddle. I have an Antares and I absolutely love it. I don't think I would be happy with any other saddle. It fits me and my horse perfect and is super super comfortable. CWD and Devoucoux are also very popular. I have a friend that have been very happy with her Tad Coffin saddle. There are so many great brands out there, you will just have to try a bunch of them until you find the right one.

Rachel1786 07-11-2012 07:34 PM

With that kind of budget I would wait till you get the horse and then have a saddle fitter come out and suggest a saddle in your budget that will fit you and your horse.
I have an HDR pro close contact and I really like it, I paid about $800 for it.

pep 07-11-2012 07:40 PM

I am waiting till I get the horse, I've already bought it were just doing vet checks but I'm just looking into what brands so I don't have a horse and no saddle for a month after I have her.

pep 07-11-2012 07:41 PM

And I had by heart set on the CWD SE01 nut I can't find any in decent used condition to take on trial

XxPaintTheSkyXx 07-23-2012 04:08 AM

I say the pessoa saddles are the best! My trainer recommended it for me but I couldn't find any at my local tack shops so I settled with a Barnsby Merlin Jumping Saddle in Dark Havana (thats the colour) its a really good saddle. I still think pessoa saddles are better(: They are really broken in so the leather is "soft". I used my trainers pessoa when I rode her Top ten in the nation ranked Arabian and it was so fun!! FYI(: Nicole Peacher aka Nicole Curry is my trainer.