The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Fit for dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/fit-dressage-130429/)

RhinestoneCowgirl03 07-11-2012 03:12 AM

Fit for dressage

Well I posted in the general riding forum about how I'm kinda stalled as far as what my next adventure in horses shall be. Some people mentioned dressage. That is one of the very very very few disciplines they offer lessons for here. Now I took some beginner dressage lessons YEARS ago and have used basic dressage techniques in my training for barrel racing, etc. but haven't focused purely on dressage really. I firmly believe that everyone has different personality traits that make them like one discipline over another (and I seem to like everything....) but looking closely at myself, I like brain teasers. I never turn down the opportunity to take those random IQ quizzes or play strategy games (and usually do really well!) I also like having a goal to work towards, or else I get bored. I'm also a shameless ham. I absolutely LOVE to be in front of people! Riding, playing my violin, speaking, doing anything I'm good at. I LOVE it. No horse show anxiety here! It's more like "Ok, I'm here, WATCH ME DO THINGS!" For example we had a Christmas performance at my old barn, where there were a bunch of teams that would make up a pattern to Christmas music (a freestyle, of sorts) and dress up and all that. I loved it and had the entire 4 ish minute routine memorized in one lesson. Soooo, I guess my question is, based on what I've mentioned so far, do you think dressage (as my main discipline, not just to help my other ones) would be a good fit for me?

Skyseternalangel 07-11-2012 03:41 AM

It's more about your horse than you. Sure you definitely have to learn how to ask and teach them along the way.. but it's their riding that is being critiqued. If you want it more about you, then Hunter Equitation is a good fit (Please Maura correct me if I'm wrong!)

But yeah it's definitely intense showing on your own, so you'd be fab in that department :)

kitten_Val 07-11-2012 08:43 AM

I'd say yes. I tried lots of things with my qh, but she seems to really enjoy to show off in arena. While it's more about the horse in dressage, people do look at the rider too. Personally I think a nicely dressed rider and braided/tacked horse look very nice together and a pleasure to watch. If both - you and the horse - like it, why not? :)

RhinestoneCowgirl03 07-11-2012 10:58 AM

Yeah, I don't have to have all the attention judging ME persay, but me and the horse, together. Because you still have to perform well to show off what the horse can do. But every horse can do dressage. Maybe not at a high level, but they can usually git r done. Like my cousin's horse. 20 yr old quarter horse built like a sausage with stick legs, bad mover, but he tries! He's schooling 4th level.