The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   My First Buck (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/my-first-buck-13049/)

Brandon 08-09-2008 10:21 PM

My First Buck

Yep it happend today, Nana tried to buck me off. It caught me COMPLETELY off guard. Ok so here is how it went, we had been doin some exercisin and warmin up Nana and then we start doin serpentines at a trot and some other patterns. Well after all that we decided that it was time to lope, so i started nana up and tried to get her to lope at the first barrel but it didnt work so then i tried the second barrel and then all of a sudden she bucked on me... I dont remember percisely but all i remember is her poppin up abit then like i kinda went back and then the back of the saddle kinda hit me and just kinda bumped me.. but my trainor said it was a big buck..

lol so i was kinda excited becuase it was my first buck.. but my trainor was utterly shocked because she had never seen Nana buck at all... we checked nana for back pains and we checked her legs and such but nothin.. so me and my trainor decided that maybe we should just call it a day with her and i just jumped on another horse..

so ya thats a summary of what happend :D

GallopAway 08-09-2008 10:37 PM

Haha. Congrats? lol.

Ohyes. I remember my first buck.

I was trying to get my then not-so-well-behaved Lizzy to canter. And boy can she buck. She SLAMMED me into the ground. lol.
My "trainer" [aka Mom, haha] just stood in the middle of the ring and yelled, ".. You okay?" And when I sat up she just yelled, "Alright. Get back over here and get on her.."

That's the way she's always been. lol. And Liz still feels the need to buck every now and then.. Even though she's nearly 20 now.
The little stinker bucked last night :roll: First time she has in a long time..
Thank God I've figured out how to ride out those bucks. haha.
Ah well. Let's me know she's still got a little spirit in her for bein' an old nag. lol.

PoptartShop 08-09-2008 11:11 PM

Congrats, LOL! :lol: Yeah, sometimes they can come when you least expect it!

Pinto Pony 08-09-2008 11:57 PM

My first pony Spider was a bit of a maniac. He was the perfect little angel at home but at pony club he would go on bucking frenzies. Such an angry pony haha, I used to think it was great, showing off my awesome riding skills, I never fell off him! One lady told my mum she should enter me in the kids events at the rodeo hahaha. I woudl just hang on!

Every little thing is a great learning experience and having your first buck, whether it was playful or meant to get you off is something new and exciting! Glad you rode it out and stayed on!

buckaroo2010 08-10-2008 04:33 PM

wooohooo your a true rider now!! you stayed on a horse that bucked! I remember the 1st time a horse bucked with me it was thi arab mare and i fell off :shock: it really didnt hurt that bad :) Congrats!

girl_on_black_pony 08-10-2008 04:44 PM

I get bucked all the time. Thankfully, Ive rarely fallen and only got hurt once.

Congrats?

But did you punish the horse? You really shouldnt just quit riding; they'll repeat bucking as a way to get out of work. When mine buck I make them do more work as punishment.

Brandon 08-10-2008 07:35 PM

Ya i was in complete shock and excitement that i didnt punish the horse immediatly but my trainor came over and told me to get off for a sec and she did the punishin.. but then we didnt know if ti was cause to pain or not because somethin looked wrong with nana back legs..

lol then the next class i spent an hour just pettin nana and brushin her and givin her lovins.. ya i know, i am a big push over :wink: and nana knows it lol..

girl_on_black_pony 08-11-2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon
Ya i was in complete shock and excitement that i didnt punish the horse immediatly but my trainor came over and told me to get off for a sec and she did the punishin.. but then we didnt know if ti was cause to pain or not because somethin looked wrong with nana back legs..

lol then the next class i spent an hour just pettin nana and brushin her and givin her lovins.. ya i know, i am a big push over :wink: and nana knows it lol..

LOL yeah, if my horse never bucked I probobly wouldve been so concerned thatd id forget the punishment :)

BarleyBooBah 08-13-2008 12:38 PM

Haha. I remember my first buck. I was only a little 12.1hh pony called rosemary, and whenever you put her into canter, she bucked verticle, and then bolted off. it was quite fun, i always just used to hang on! barley bucks all the time haha. Whereas most horses kick their bellies to get flies away, he just bucks. and he bucks when he is excited, nervous, scared, fizzy.

smrobs 08-14-2008 06:11 PM

Welcome to the club. I remember the first time I got bucked off, barely. I was 3 years old and riding a miniature burro (still have him) he stopped and wouldn't go so I popped him on the butt with a bridle rein. :wink: BAD IDEA. He turned and bucked and dumped me off in the middle of the road. Luckily I didn't have far to fall, he is only about 34 inches tall. I don't think I'll ever forget it though. :lol: He's really fat in this pic and covered in winter hair. Been retired for about 15 years. :)

http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/47...orses_28_1.jpg