The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   How reasonable are my rates...? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/how-reasonable-my-rates-130491/)

TrojanCowgirl 07-11-2012 05:04 PM

How reasonable are my rates...?

I'm starting a small horse boarding business at my home on August 1st... here are the services I provide:

Standard Self Care: 12x12 stalls, you provide feed and clean. I will feed your horse twice a day and make sure they always have water in their troughs. Troughs have gold fish in them and are thoroughly cleaned every two weeks. $100/mo

Semi-Self Care: 12x12 stalls, you provide feed. I will feed your horse twice daily, clean your stall and provide fresh straw bedding once a week. Troughs have gold fish in them and are thoroughly cleaned every two weeks. $135/mo

Pasture Semi-Self Care: 1/2 acre shared pasture. You provide feed and I will feed twice daily and clean pasture. Water troughs have goldfish in them and are thoroughly cleaned every two weeks. $115/mo

Pasture Self-Care: 1/2 acre shared pasture. You provide feed and clean up after your horse and I will feed twice daily. Water troughs have goldfish in them and are thoroughly cleaned every two weeks. $100/mo

-Horses must be UTD on shots, worming and farrier care.-
-$45 one-time non refundable security deposit required. -

All boarding includes access to riding & lunging arena, wash rack, hitching post and paddock turnout.

I've currently got 2 stalls left and 4 pasture slots left. Are my prices reasonable? I do have a multi-horse discount plan set up... If you have 3+ horses save $45 off first month's board and $10 off every month after that. No pictures yet, the property is under major renovations atm.

CLaPorte432 07-11-2012 05:42 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Do you not offer full care board? (Just curious)

I would think they are reasonable. Depending on your area and facilities.
Posted via Mobile Device

eclipseranch 07-11-2012 05:50 PM

always seeking to learn..what are the goldfish in the troughs for? this is a new concept to me :)

?? for boarding how many will be boarded cuz if everybody provides a different type/brand feed it seems there is potential for storage issues as well as confusion at feeding time..and what about hay?

TrojanCowgirl 07-11-2012 06:06 PM

No full care, only self care atm.

Each horse has a personalized ID card with it states the name the feed/brand/quantity/how often it is to be fed :)

And the gold fish eat away at mosquitoes. I used the last summer and had amazing results!

caseymyhorserocks 07-11-2012 06:06 PM

Do the stalled horses have access to turnout? I would not even consider boarding somewhere without turnout!

Yes, very reasonable rates I would say. Its $300 for self care here at a nice barn! (indoor/outdoor arena, short trails, private 40 foot roundpen and stall).

TrojanCowgirl 07-11-2012 06:09 PM

The stalls stand alone, however, as I stated earlier there is a paddock turn out for everyone to use :)

themacpack 07-11-2012 06:15 PM

The 1/2 acre is shared by how many horses? Only asking as 1/2 acre isn't going to go far for even one horse, so the "pasture" will become a dry lot.....

TrojanCowgirl 07-11-2012 06:17 PM

The 1/2 acre will share at most two horses owned by the same person. We do rotate, and the owner still provides hay for times when the grass is short (very common in this area).

eclipseranch 07-11-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrojanCowgirl (Post 1592598)
No full care, only self care atm.

Each horse has a personalized ID card with it states the name the feed/brand/quantity/how often it is to be fed :)

And the gold fish eat away at mosquitoes. I used the last summer and had amazing results!

gotcha..guess I empty troughs more often cuz I have never had a problem with mosquitoes in them..but good to know
when I used to board they used an ID card system but only 2 different types of feed & hay/alf depending on what an owner wanted but inclusive in board
the card included a vet, farrier, and owner number in case of an emergency but it was a lrg facility.

TrojanCowgirl 07-11-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipseranch (Post 1592639)
gotcha..guess I empty troughs more often cuz I have never had a problem with mosquitoes in them..but good to know
when I used to board they used an ID card system but only 2 different types of feed & hay/alf depending on what an owner wanted but inclusive in board
the card included a vet, farrier, and owner number in case of an emergency but it was a lrg facility.

The owners will be allowed to supply any feed they want. That includes hay, grains, supplements, etc.

The ID card includes a head shot, conformation shot and an action shot. It lists the horses, name, breed, height, age, color, vet, farrier, owner, feeding instructions and special instructions (i.e. No treats, don't enter stall, don't turn out, etc.) :)