The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Cantering on a long side...? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/cantering-long-side-130516/)

Mackieb 07-11-2012 09:10 PM

Cantering on a long side...?

Hi! I ws wondering, does anyone have any tips for cantering on the long side of an arena? My #1 fear at shows is being asked to canter on a long side when i am spaced out from the other horses perfectly, then having to cut across the middle of the ring, risking cutting off or ending up within biting/kicking distance of another horse. Thanks!

Mckellar 07-11-2012 09:22 PM

Okay first of all I have been in a hack with 45 horses. Insane . Too many horses they will split you up. Don't cut across the ring if your crowded, 20 meter circle or ride on the inside. When you come close to a horse steer away from that kicking zone. I have to ask .... Is it your horse that kicks? I'm going to guess your new to showing but kicking out does happen you have to use common sense to get out of bad situations. In most cases you have to hope others control their horses and in return you control yours.

Best thing to do is when you enter the ring find your spot away from other horses and don't crowd others. And control your speed at the troy and canter

Hope that was helpful!

Mackieb 07-11-2012 10:04 PM

Thanks! And one of the horses i show is a push button lesson horse, very few things piss him off, and i've never seen him kick or buck or bite. The other horse, however is a green tb, and i could imagine him kicking at a horse that got too close to his butt. Also, in the summer series i show in, they don't really follow the splitting up rules they set. Once, in about a 200x80 ft ring with jumps set, they held a hack class with 16 horses, even though the split was supposed to be at 10 horses. There were a lot of pissy acting horses during that class lol!

Mckellar 07-11-2012 10:24 PM

Then be cautious , maybe put a ribbon I the tbs tail? It's frustrating to have to watch other people's horses but it goes hand in hand with flat classes. Best thing is be aware of the other horses. I've seen first hand a horse kicking out and the judge only saw the one horse react, not the kicking one and the one that kicked placed. A horse kicked out at mine during a counter canter and I couldn't hold the canter without putting my horse in danger and it messed up my classes but safety is number one. I hope more people on here will help you out with some tips and advice

Skyseternalangel 07-12-2012 01:12 AM

When you're on your own, practice cantering on the rail and off the rail. Kind of like the exercise where you leg yield on and off the track at the trot. It'll be okay :)

Saskia 07-12-2012 03:27 AM

If possible keep an even pace so you won't have to move too much.

I teach at PC occasionally and the kids are always overtaking each other. I tell them to slow down rather than over take, and try to keep the same distance with the horse in front, rather than letting their horse dictate the speed. Sometimes I think they should have a similar rule in competitions, keeping to a standard pace rather than overtaking or being so slow, and the rider is penalised if they can't keep the horse at the required pace.