The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   good all-around supplements (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/good-all-around-supplements-130520/)

aquarianibis 07-11-2012 09:45 PM

good all-around supplements

I'm looking for some advice and opinions on good supplements to feed. I'm considering feeding MSM, but I'd also appreciate some recommendations for all-around supplements. I just got my first horse, and though I've been working with horses for 14 years I'm new at the owning/caring for/making decisions for a horse. My boy is 21 years old (so yeah, he's an old geezer, but we're both cool with that). I don't compete or anything, but he gets ridden pretty much every day, and I would say I ride at a semi-competitive level (I like to challenge him and myself). I appreciate any advice or wisdom or insights or whatever, because I look forward to many happy years with him!

HighonEquine 07-11-2012 11:02 PM

I really.. REALLY like a lot of SmartPak's stuff. They help you figure out exactly what your horses needs are based on his exercise, age, forage, etc. It's awesome! They carry all sorts of supplements, including the all around stuff. Check them out, you won't regret it!:wink:

Me and Smiling Horse 07-12-2012 12:35 AM

Congrats on your new horse! I own and adore a senior gelding. I give him "focus senior" as a vitamin and probiotic supplement (old horses need probiotics), and even if your horse isn't showing any stiffness now it might not be a bad idea to stave it off by keeping his joints healthy with some glucosamine and chondroitin.

I've found that high quality feed is just as important as supplements when it comes to keeping senior horses healthy. So a good senior feed is worth the expense, at least to me anyway. I give my boy triple crown senior and he does wonderfully with it. Older horses do not digest and assimilate their feed as well as younger horses, and senior feeds are made more easily digestible.

I've found great all around supplements on line at state line tack etc., at great prices. So if cost is an issue, cruise the web and you can find things cheaper. :)

aquarianibis 07-13-2012 11:02 AM

@Me and Smiling Horse

What senior feed would you suggest?

SaddleStrings 07-13-2012 12:46 PM

I give my old boy SmartPak Senior. It has a joint supplement, prebiotics, and vitamins to support a healthy immune system. My boy does wonderful on this supplement.

PunksTank 07-13-2012 11:36 PM

Smartpak is fantastic I love them, but I find they are a bit overpriced, there are natural feed stores that sell the same things in bulk for far less - like frontier and Jeffers. Personally ALL my horses get MSM and Brewer's yeast. MSM for joints and soft tissue, Brewer's yeast for brain, skin, hair and eyes (you will see the difference in your horse's coat in just a few days I mean it!).

Me and Smiling Horse 07-14-2012 12:15 AM

I like triple crown senior, and it's not that much more than other senior feeds. Nutrena is a little less than triple crown, but my boy's body condition is AWESOME with triple crown. Purena senior is the same price as triple crown BUT they often give out coupons and I haven't been able to find any coupons for triple crown.

I really feel that good feed and good supplements are worth the investment, especially when considering how much vets cost, and the cost of antiinflammatories. Jeffers Pet, State Line Tack, and The Horse.com all have GREAT senior supplements at a good price. I've had to watch price because I put a good bit into his feed.

rascalboy 07-16-2012 10:32 PM

Yup, check out smartpakequine.com
They have quality supplements that actually work.
Anywho, MSM is what you want to get him on. It's super cheap, and extremely effective for most horses. Keeps the swelling down which helps slow the progression of arthritis and also does wonders for an injury. (It takes a week to be effective, though). Get 10,000mg per dose, though. A lot of manufacturers seem to think 1,000mg is perfectly fine, which is stupid, since that's the human dose.
Other than that, pick whatever else you want. If you have money, go with Cosequin. It's a good supplement that works very well, but it's a bit expensive.

AdrianoVell 09-05-2012 10:46 AM

Such a great post. I think you can get your answer. In additional, I just to share with you an shopping site that is provided free deals and discounts for food and supplements. Just go there and search your supplement deals. I am dam sure that you can save more and more by using these saving codes. Because i have used it for last 2 years and you cant imagine that i have save a lot through this online source.