The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   "Equestrian" named most difficult Olympic sport (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/equestrian-named-most-difficult-olympic-sport-130521/)

Houston 07-11-2012 10:23 PM

"Equestrian" named most difficult Olympic sport

Thought some people would appreciate this. :thumbsup:
Which Olympic sport is the hardest? Fourth-Place Medal ranks all 32 | Fourth-Place Medal - Yahoo! Sports

Quote:

1. Equestrian -- Can you ride a horse? Me neither.
Can't wait to watch them!

Thought I should add that this article is mostly in jest... just in case anyone finds something offensive.

SorrelHorse 07-11-2012 10:26 PM

Ahhh YESSS!!! I LOVE IT!

littleamy76 07-11-2012 11:55 PM

Yay!! Pfffft, and some people tell me that riding a horse is not a real sport. This will show them!

smrobs 07-12-2012 12:19 AM

It's completely true, though. In every single other sport, it is either a single human or a group of humans that are competing based solely on their own physical ability and prowess.

In no other sport must you control each muscle of a 1200+ pound creature of instinct with a mind of it's own.

Skyseternalangel 07-12-2012 12:49 AM

I almost got into a fight on FB over this. Someone very adament that water polo is more brutal and dangerous than horse riding.

I'm pretty sure they're both dangerous in their own ways lol.. people don't realize the risk and skill it takes to ride at upper levels (Olympics) but don't get me wrong it takes a lot to ride in general!

Zeke 07-12-2012 12:58 AM

Considering the Modern Pentatheon has riding in it too I'm suprised they didn't make it sound harder but all that aside lol YAY!
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 07-12-2012 01:02 AM

Zeke, I'm fairly certain that the "riding" portion of the pentathlon refers to a bicycle :wink:.

Equenix 07-12-2012 01:36 AM

As I was reading down the article I was getting frustrated not seeing it. But low and behold first place.
I hope everyone who said it wasn't a sport to my face reads this!

ThursdayNext 07-12-2012 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1593253)
Zeke, I'm fairly certain that the "riding" portion of the pentathlon refers to a bicycle :wink:.

Nope! It's SHOW JUMPING! And the contestants do NOT get to ride their own horses.

http://cdn.pentathlon.org/media/k2/i...846ce76_XL.jpg

ThursdayNext 07-12-2012 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1593239)
I almost got into a fight on FB over this. Someone very adament that water polo is more brutal and dangerous than horse riding.

I'm pretty sure they're both dangerous in their own ways lol.. people don't realize the risk and skill it takes to ride at upper levels (Olympics) but don't get me wrong it takes a lot to ride in general!

It's like water polo...if, in addition to the other humans in the water, you're having to constantly persuade the water itself to cooperate with your moves.