The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Help me decide between these 3 bits (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/help-me-decide-between-these-3-a-130522/)

Casey02 07-11-2012 10:29 PM

Help me decide between these 3 bits

3 Attachment(s)
First is a myler combo bit

Second is a sweet six combo bit

Third is a snaffel combo bit

What im looking for I need a little more nose control with my horse, I dont need anything to harsh in his mouth. Any thoughts on these three? I was a little worried with the nose piece on the myler if its to big or something and the fact that its just string. I dont need to be told that my horse should be rode in a snaffel, he can do everything in a snaffel just needs some nose control

Casey02 07-11-2012 10:48 PM

I forgot to add I dont think I would need a chin strap on any of them

nyx 07-11-2012 10:51 PM

Do they come with thicker bit pieces?

Casey02 07-11-2012 10:55 PM

I would check for that as well as sizing for my horses mouth. These were just general pictures for some help picking. I want the smooth mouth piece for sure

nyx 07-11-2012 11:17 PM

Ahh, ok. :) do you want the nose control to lower your horses head on the bit? Or does he always ride with his head high? Cos I MIGHT have another bit suggestion if I can find mine. :)
Other wise I would choose the middle one. As for the chain on the bottom I always used to use a piece of ski rope, worked just as good.

smrobs 07-11-2012 11:44 PM

What is he doing to make you think he needs nose control?

nyx 07-11-2012 11:50 PM

If he rides with his head high I would try a parelli bitless bridle that puts pressure points on the nose and put it on underneath the bridle just incase. Or practise a bit of long and low.
But Yeh like smrobs said we need to know why.

Casey02 07-12-2012 10:40 AM

It may sound funny but I like the idea of the pressure on the nose and mouth vs. all on the mouth. He gets very nervous at times and will have his head in the air. Its not so much that he has his nose all over the place, but I also dont think I need to be riding him in a correction bit. I think he could do fine in a snaffel with a little extra add pressure (when need be). Thats how I found these bits. I can ride him around in a snaffel but if something were to happen, I would like to have a little something more on him than a snaffel if he doesnt respeond to my seat and I absolutly need to control him. Does that help?

Casey02 07-12-2012 10:49 AM

double post

Casey02 07-12-2012 08:13 PM

Is anyone else worried about the thickness of the mouth pieces? I am hoping to order a new bit tonight!