The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Adjusting to a New Barn (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/adjusting-new-barn-130545/)

KaylaMarie96 07-12-2012 02:31 AM

Adjusting to a New Barn

Recently we decided to that we need to move to a new barn...again. Our old barn was way too far away, and now our new barn jacked the prices up and is refusing to work out a partial care agreement. I've been trying to find a job to help my parents out with the costs, but my tiny town isn't the best place to find employment :/ I will continue searching, but in the mean time we need to find somewhere cheaper that is willing to do partial care ( I love cleaning stalls so I'm fine with that!) I found a place near by that seems nice and laid back. There are only four boarders there and it's only $150 per month! Sooo much better than our current place where I find it a bit crowded. So my question is: ** How do you help a horse adjust to a new place?** I really want to make the transition as easy as possible. Any advice would be great! Thanks!
~Kayla

Skyseternalangel 07-12-2012 02:37 AM

Bring some of their hay to the new barn and mix it with the new hay so their stomachs don't get upset.

Usually they're kept separate for awhile and meet over the fence before they're introduced to the herd. They should be okay though. Best thing to do is pretend nothing has changed in how you handle them.

Walk them around everywhere by hand, explore everything. If they have different places to tie them up safely (crossties or safety release knot) then do it in all sorts of places so they can get used to it.

Ride them as you would any other day, unless you aren't confident that they'll do well or want to work on the ground first. Eitherway :)

KaylaMarie96 07-12-2012 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1593339)
Bring some of their hay to the new barn and mix it with the new hay so their stomachs don't get upset.

Usually they're kept separate for awhile and meet over the fence before they're introduced to the herd. They should be okay though. Best thing to do is pretend nothing has changed in how you handle them.

Walk them around everywhere by hand, explore everything. If they have different places to tie them up safely (crossties or safety release knot) then do it in all sorts of places so they can get used to it.

Ride them as you would any other day, unless you aren't confident that they'll do well or want to work on the ground first. Eitherway :)

I've never thought of the hay idea! I will definitely do those things! Thank you