The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Quarter pony comfromation ? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/quarter-pony-comfromation-130560/)

Dappledbaybeauty 07-12-2012 09:00 AM

Quarter pony comfromation ?

That is a few video's and photo's of my registered quarter pony,

I don't mind critiqueing

but please don't be critical and say she looks like a elaphant or is ugly ect like I have had said to me in the past.
I have also been told she has terrible comfromation .

blue eyed pony 07-12-2012 09:31 AM

Sorry, none of these photos are any good for us to tell her conformation from. She is cute, and I love all her dun factors, but that's really all we can tell. Some of those photos are incredibly unflattering and make her appear flawed where she may actually be pretty good.

Could you get some photos of her standing squared up on a hard level surface? Front, side and behind are what we need to truly get the best idea of her conformation.

I am a little concerned about her weight, she looks pretty overweight... not to scare you but fat horses can encounter all manner of health issues, so it's best to keep your horses at ideal weight.

And yes, I am aware she is a quarter pony and so more solid through the body than the type of horse I normally go for... I have a VERY chunky filly so I'm used to solid-bodied horses!

Dappledbaybeauty 07-12-2012 09:40 AM

Thank you very much for your reply,
And yes I do understand the weight issue,
Though she has been muzzeled (as there is long grass around)
And we have cut out grain and mollassas and have increased the fiber and microbeet. :)

here are some better photo's of her.

Zekiah Diamond three dots. (took ages to get these) | Facebook

blue eyed pony 07-12-2012 09:50 AM

I see a nice Quarter Pony with a lovely smooth coupling, a low-set neck (good for stock types), slightly downhill which is pretty typical for stock breeds. Good forelegs, though possibly a little bit tied in behind the knee (smaller leg circumference just below the knee than just above the fetlock). I like her hind legs, they aren't quite ideal through the hocks but they're pretty good. I like her pastern angles, and I like the shape of her neck, though it is quite thick (might be due to her weight).

I don't like her shoulder, it's too upright for my taste, and I'm not much a fan of her head shape or size. And her ears are enormous!

Overall she's a nice little stock type :) not for me, because I ride jumpers and stock breeds aren't built to jump, but if you want to do any of the Western disciplines, or work stock in any capacity, she'd do it acceptably well.

If she's muzzled and still not losing weight, you could up her workload without hurting her at all :) I had a pony that was on very minimal grazing, in a dirt yard at night and only turned out during the day (muzzled), with only a handful of bucket feed to bind his suppliments and hay with very low nutrient content fed in a slow feeder... he was working 2hrs a day 6 days/week and STILL overweight! The majority of ponies could work hard 6hrs/day 7 days a week and suffer no ill effects except perhaps getting a tad sour (ponies are LAZY!) and I'm going to assume you don't have time for that, you look like you're in school :)