The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   how often do you clean your gelding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-often-do-you-clean-your-130570/)

barrelbeginner 07-12-2012 12:09 PM

how often do you clean your gelding?

Okay, so up untill recently, i had no clue that you actually had to clean a geldings sheath. i thought that just rinsing it out with water was enough:/ Now, i feel bad, so I would like to know how often should you clean it up there? not getting the bean out or whatever, i dont wanna do something wrong so ill have my vet do that:)

LizzieE 07-12-2012 08:24 PM

This can really depend on the horse. Some geldings build up smegma (the slimy black stuff) more quickly than others. Every few months is usually good enough, but it you start smelling it or noticing irritation in that area, you might want to clean it more often. Also, cleaning it too frequently can also cause irritation, so be aware of that as well.

OutOfTheLoop 07-12-2012 11:42 PM

You should be able to tell when the sheath needs cleaning. Sone only do it once or twice a year, and some need it done monthly. If you notice any swelling or trouble urinating, he might need a cleaning. With my guy, He will walk around with it dropped, and I can tell how dirty it is. I have my vet do his a month and a half ago, and he needs it done again already. Dirty Boy!

Reno Bay 07-12-2012 11:46 PM

Hm...I think I'll try to see if my boy needs cleaning next time I go up for a visit. I have no idea how he'll like a hose though -___- Reno never lets it all hang out, even when he urinates. I find that rather odd...

Sophie19 07-13-2012 12:15 AM

Should You Clean Your Horse

HarleyWood 07-13-2012 12:48 AM

well i have my vet check them every year and he will make sure everything is fine. my QH has to be drugged to do it... he gets worked up about people he doesnt know well/like down there.. but i check them to make sure they are fine..

AlexS 07-13-2012 01:18 AM

My boy doesn't get too bad, so I bring in the New Year, every year with cleaning his.

Delfina 07-13-2012 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophie19 (Post 1594854)

Well that Vet has never met my guy. My Vet was gagging when he was literally pulling handfuls of crud and even HAY out.

Yeah, it was bad and it's always like that.

My Vet sedates and cleans him whenever he's at the barn.

stevenson 07-13-2012 01:32 AM

I have one gelding that likes his sheath cleaned. A couple of them tolerate it, and I have one that will try to take your head off, even when he is doped.
Once a year at least, mild mild soap.

Skyseternalangel 07-13-2012 01:53 AM

At least every 6 months, I have a vet do it cause I don't want to hurt my horse haha!