The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Arabian Warmbloods? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/arabian-warmbloods-130575/)

iamanequestrian 07-12-2012 12:11 PM

Arabian Warmbloods?

I am now on the look out for a new show horse! Soooo exited! So, my instructor and I have decided that an Arabian Warmblood is a perfect fit for me. Could you guys tell me everything you know about..
ARABIAN WARMBLOODS ?
Thank you!

Speed Racer 07-12-2012 12:12 PM

There's no such thing. Arabians are hotbloods, and there's no cross that can take a hotblood and a coldblood and make a warmblood.

natisha 07-12-2012 12:13 PM

What exactly is an Arabian Warmblood?

JustDressageIt 07-12-2012 12:17 PM

There is no such thing - if your coach is suggesting you purchase an "Arabian Warmblood," perhaps it's in your best interest to find a new coach. Now, Arabian/Warmblood crosses (two different breeds) do exist... Could she have been saying this instead? (In which case, don't kick her to the curb haha)
Posted via Mobile Device

iamanequestrian 07-12-2012 12:22 PM

Sorry guys! My mistake! Yes I was implying that as a cross. An Arabian crossed with a Warmblood. Haha. :)

Celeste 07-12-2012 12:58 PM

Hot blooded............

ArabBossMare 07-12-2012 01:43 PM

Arabian / Warmblood crosses were a "thing" a few years ago but from what I've seen, have gotten harder to find. They generally are awesome crosses though with the best of both worlds.

Now, I do remember when a few were crossing draft with Arabians attempting to make a "warmblood" type. They seemed to be either one extreme or the other with a lot of mismatched body parts (going solely off the ones I saw and investigated because I was tempted to try this type of cross myself) ie... big heads, small bodies and frames. I'm sure there were some good results, but by and large it was a fad that came in and left rather quickly :)

blue eyed pony 07-12-2012 01:48 PM

arab/wb crosses are actually registerable as Arabian Warmbloods in Aus :) at the moment it's considered a "derivative" registration rather than a breed but in years to come that will likely change.

And the Trakehner studbook allows crosses to TB's and Arabians (and Anglo's) to make "purebred" Trakehners, for the purpose of refining the breed. In theory you could have a horse that was 7/8 Arabian, 1/8 Trake, but if its parents on both sides were studbook registered/approved it would be registered as a purebred.

I actually REALLY like the cross, and have met several that are simply lovely people. BIG personalities, but talented, athletic, and stunning to look at. You hope for the best of both worlds with the beautiful Arabian head and refinement, and the WB movement, power and athleticism. It's a really popular cross atm in Aus and proving quite successful in the eventing world.

Joie 07-13-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue eyed pony (Post 1593949)

And the Trakehner studbook allows crosses to TB's and Arabians (and Anglo's) to make "purebred" Trakehners, for the purpose of refining the breed. In theory you could have a horse that was 7/8 Arabian, 1/8 Trake, but if its parents on both sides were studbook registered/approved it would be registered as a purebred.

This is not QUITE true, at least not in the US. While the horse can be REGISTERED with the ATA, it would not be considered a purebred, nor would it be eligible for inclusion in the OFFICIAL studbook. The percentage of thoroughbred or arab blood cannot be that high for the horse to be considered for Official Stud Book (OSB) approval. For example, if you have a OSB approved "purebred" Trakehner mare whose dam was a Preliminary Stud Book (PSB) approved thoroughbred, you cannot breed the OSB approved mare to an OSB approved thoroughbred or arabian stallion and have that resulting foal be eligible for OSB approval. The stallion cannot have a TB or Arabian parent.

Clear as mud?

Saskia 07-14-2012 08:22 AM

I too have seen Arabian Warmbloods in Australia and they're often referred to as a breed even if they are a derivative. I haven't known too many, but I know one very nice one. She's smart and a good size with a lovely head.

I personally quite like Arab crosses with most breeds, it can make a nice, smart horse. I'm not a huge fan of warmbloods, they often seem a little "dull" (although certainly not all). I think Arab adds a little spark to them.

Although, I always thought warmbloods were bought because of their long line of purpose breeding for the english disciplines. It is this ancestry and characteristics caused by it that justifies their price. If you just cross the horse out especially with a breed that is not bred for similar purposes and with notably different conformation - doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? Sure they're lovely horses but there are plenty of lovely horses out there that don't cost a fortune.

Just my thought on the whole thing, but I don't know much about breeding or warmbloods.

I'd just advise to go with the horse that best suits you - unless you're buying a really young one I don't think breeding is hugely important.